Propnut update

Our braai area. The place were we all stand around the fire and talk.
Propnut
Engine Run Up Poster
South Africa

Propnut update

Post by Propnut » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:47 am

So on 30 September we travelled up the N3 to Pretoria for my daughters birthday on 1 September. We would then stay over for my grandson's birthday on 17 September and then come back to Durban. Our planned return happened to be two days before the Gauteng school holidays. You know whats coming - we stayed on and had a blast with the family but missed AAD. Finally returning to Durban on 30 September.

Now for quite a few years I have had gout tophi in my middle toe on my left foot. It has not really worried me and I have used it as a marker. If it changed colour from a light pink to a more red pink then I knew a gout attack was only a day or two away. I would take the prescribed anti-gout tablets and all would be fine for a month or two. When we got home to Durban all was still okay. I woke up on Friday 12 October with a feeling of pressure or tightness in this toe but tried to ignore it. By Sunday it was visibly swollen more than twice its size and did not look too good. So on Monday I went to see the GP. He tried to lance the toe and attempted to remove the tophi and the gout crystals that form from the tophi. Armed with a serious dose of antibiotics he sent me home.

Woke up on Thursday morning 18 October and was a little worried. The toe was a purple monster and there was clear signs of blood poisoning in the left leg progressing towards the knee. Going back to the GP he panicked and by 1600 I was admitted to Kingsway Hospital. Put on a stronger mix of antibiotics through an IV drip and on Friday said goodbye to my toe as they amputated it at the joint where the toe meets the foot. Yesterday the surgeon gave me the good news that I could be discharged and last night I spent a night in my own bed, much more comfortable than the hospital bed.

For those wondering why my postings may have been missing, you now have the story. I am doing foot exercises every hour as that is my gear change foot on the motor bike and I don't want too many missed gear changes when I am finally able to get my bum on a saddle again. For now it is just daily dressing changes till Friday 2 November when I go back to have my stitches removed.

Bell 407
Site Admin
South Africa

Re: Propnut update

Post by Bell 407 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:26 am

Propies, thank you for the update. So you have lost a little bit of "weight" then :haha: :haha: :haha:

Glad that everything has worked out ok and that you had the op done in the nick of time. As you say, you need to do all the required physio so that you can make good gear changes on the bike. Happy biking :clap:

Raffles
Site Admin
Burkina Faso

Post by Raffles » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:09 pm

Get well soon!

:sick: >>> :running:

Propnut
Engine Run Up Poster
South Africa

Post by Propnut » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:07 pm

Thanks guys, now just to take it easy for the next few days.

Propnut
Engine Run Up Poster
South Africa

Post by Propnut » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:48 am

Just back from the surgeon who removed all remaining stitches and cleaned up the toe stub. he is very happy with the outcome, so am I. Looking down my leg now the first thing that comes to mind is the "missing man formation". Now for the next few days I must keep it open to assist the healing process, just bandage it at night.

And so the saga continues.

Bell 407
Site Admin
South Africa

Post by Bell 407 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:36 pm

Propnut wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:48 am
And so the saga continues.
:dance: