What we can learn from this crash?

The place where you can discuss and learn from aviation accidents and or incidents.
Raffles
Site Admin
Burkina Faso

What we can learn from this crash?

Post by Raffles » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:52 am

I was browsing the NTSB website and came across this preliminary report of an accident last month.

https://app.ntsb.gov/pdfgenerator/Repor ... m&IType=FA

I'm posting it because I think it is a classic illustration of a chain of events culminating in disaster, and we can all learn from it. You can read the report for full details, I have put the 1 beer version below.

A father (airline pilot) and son (aspirant pilot) ferrying a C150 over a long distance to their "home base". They started at around 1400 EDT and made several fuel stops. The pilot was in contact with his fiancée by text and reported an electrical problem before embarking on the final leg which was 275 miles. Takeoff was at 2015 EDT, maybe still daylight, but the ETA was 2215 CDT in the dark (one time zone difference so the flight time must have been around 3 hours). Apparently they had no electrical power in the plane and only a battery operated handheld which turned out to have insufficient power to turn on the pilot controlled lighting at the destination airfield. He asked his fiancée by text to direct them with a flashlight??? They attempted an approach but it was unsuccessful, did a go-around and that was the last the fiancée saw or heard of them. The wreckage was found the next day in a swamp, with about a gallon of useable fuel in the tanks.

1. Improper or insufficient planning - marginal fuel reserves - at night. I was told by one of my instructors years ago when Pontius was also doing his pilot's license, "Don't f*%! around with fuel at night".
2. Pressing on regardless of a defect presumed by the pilot to be inconsequential. So an electrical failure failed the radio which was necessary to turn on the pilot controlled lighting. They also weren't aware that the airfield lights could be controlled from outside a hangar.
3. Trusting to luck and complacency, possibly because the pilot was an airline pilot.

Enuf Sed
Engine Run Up Poster
South Africa

Re: What we can learn from this crash?

Post by Enuf Sed » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:03 am

You can't cure stupid?