Closure of International Flyerz Forum imminent a.k.a. Save the Forum

Updates and functionality to the site will be posted here by Site Admin.
Raffles
Site Admin
Burkina Faso

Closure of International Flyerz Forum imminent a.k.a. Save the Forum

Post by Raffles » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:03 pm

Unfortunately I have to make this announcement, something I am unhappy about but it probably has to be done. The lease for the forum is coming up at the end of the month and Moertoe and I have chatted about the future of this forum. It started out fairly well but gradually all the members who defected with us from the "other" forums all went back to their former hunting ground. We are left with less than 10 active members.

I would like to solicit everyone's opinion and we only have about a week left before the final decision will be made.

Whatever happens, we will continue with the Facebook page.

One good point about this forum is that there are no trolls, but at the same time, there is very little discussion or debate.

Instead of a poll, I would like as many of you as possible to reply to this post and give your opinion. We will then make a decision based on the response and opinions.

Thanks in advance
Raffles

Hindsight is what you see from the tail gunner's position. :D

Kompos
Engine Run Up Poster
France

Re: Closure of Internation Flyerz forum imminent a.k.a. save the forum

Post by Kompos » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:18 pm

This is a easy going and very informative home from home. Specific reference to KerryR and GooneyBird. I really miss Mielie-maybe we can lure her back-common Pine-she kept the chat alive.

My opinion-let us give it an extended life line if possible.

Millie7
Engine Run Up Poster

Post by Millie7 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:36 pm

Eish, I feel really bad for being absent from the forum for such a long time.  :-[  New school = new challenges.

I will do my best to post in the chat forum everyday - even if it is just to say "lekker slaap".

Please keep the forum.  :please:  It makes me think of a group of people sitting around a camp-fire, sharing stories.

avi-addict
Taxying Poster

Post by avi-addict » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:50 am

:cry: To be honest.  If it's a financial burden to keep the forum alive and a time consuming responsibility,    then I would shut it down. Whenever I visit, most of the time I was the only member/visitor. It really felt lonley and spooky to be all by yourself and yes, I'm also still a member of Africa Aviation and visit there regularly. This forum however felt more 'intimate' and has the feeling of a very closed group of friends but it's no use keeping it alive if there's seldom active discussion going on. I truely admire Raffie's attempts to answer all 'questions' - he really do his utmost best to reply to every post. I do miss Munts a lot but I know that he has a very busy working schedule and I believe so has Raffles.  Fortunately most of my 'friends' here are also FB friends so I can still communicate with them. I feel very free here to discuss matters that concerns me and of which I need answers to without being laughed at. It's no use to be sentimental about something that doen't deliver the necessary response. I personally would part sadly if this forum has to go but for Munts and Raffs to keep it alive without getting reasonable response is not fair. I'm really looking with a very objective 'eye' to this problem and in my right mind, this is the only conclusion that I can come to. You ask for our response and I really have a hard time  writing down my true feelings but 'honesty' will always be my motto in life. (this forum has so many interesting threads comparing to others and the smileys are unique and 'says it all). I'm truly sad but objective.

If you can't convince them, confuse them or cast a spell over them.  I'm the witch, then there's the cat and the broom . . .

Bell 407
Site Admin
South Africa

Post by Bell 407 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:58 pm

I am the administrator on a number of discussion forums and it certainly does take a lot of work and effort to keep them going. This varies from managing the actual technical aspects of the site and fixing bugs to keeping discussions going as well. And there is the cost as well of keeping the site registered and the domain active. It all takes time and finances.

I too have noticed a very significant lack of attendance on this forum for a while now and that is a simple fact. No amount of rehashing or reworking it will get people to actively participate if they don't want to. Like Avi has said, sometimes I have logged on and I am the only one online. Sad, but it's the reality.

In all honesty the input effort by the admins far outweighs the output rewards at this stage and I don't think that this will change significant very soon. So I am inclined to see the site close and would not have a problem with that being the case.

I too do visit other sites and they are very active. I understand why this site was created in the first place and I think it did achieve those goals. But if it does close down it does not mean that those objectives of the type of members and discussions held can not be transferred on to the other sites. Change can happen.

So Moertoe aand Raffles, it's up to you guys. If you do close it down I happily wish you both Bon Voyage and thank you for your time and effort in running this site. It has been great and I look forward to seeing you guys on the other forums.

Kerry R
South Africa

Post by Kerry R » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:35 am

OH NO I WILL CRY BIG CROC TEARS :nono: :outtahere:

avi-addict
Taxying Poster

Post by avi-addict » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:47 am

[quote="Kerry R"]
OH NO I WILL CRY BIG CROC TEARS :nono: :outtahere:
[/quote].  And we will miss your interesting posts like the ones of today.  :thewoman: :group:

If you can't convince them, confuse them or cast a spell over them.  I'm the witch, then there's the cat and the broom . . .

Raffles
Site Admin
Burkina Faso

Post by Raffles » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:39 pm

Ok the good news is that Moertoe has paid for one more year

:utheman:  :utheman:  :utheman:  :beer: :beer: :beer:

So let's keep this forum alive and you guys try get some friends to join.

Keep the flow going.  :burner: :burner: :burner:

Hindsight is what you see from the tail gunner's position. :D

Millie7
Engine Run Up Poster

Post by Millie7 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:41 pm

Thank you!!!  :utheman: :burner:

Bell 407
Site Admin
South Africa

Post by Bell 407 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:40 am

Excellent news  :utheman:

avi-addict
Taxying Poster

Post by avi-addict » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:02 pm

:group: :group: :group:

Kompos
Engine Run Up Poster
France

Post by Kompos » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:29 pm

[quote="avi-addict"]
[/quote]

Much appreciated Avi! :kompos: :outtahere:

Moertoe Pilut
2000 feet Poster
Netherlands

Post by Moertoe Pilut » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:11 pm

I have renewed the lease of the forum.... I have deliberately stayed on the side lines (not being active and see how it runs by itself) for a while. What I noticed was a steep decline in active users and posts. I spoke to Ralph about it and discussed it with him (he is the co-owner of this site) and he shares my concern. This forum is and always has been for YOU, the user. Not for me personal. You are the ones who make it or brake it, not me.

This forum was created for a reason, mainly freedom of speech and not to mug others. If you (the user) feel that we are not upholding that very reason, please let us know. You (the user) can always voice opinions or thoughts in how to improve this forum, I can't read your minds.....

I hope that this year will be much better not only for own personal/family life, but will also will show growth in this place.

Cheers,

Moertoe

avi-addict
Taxying Poster

Post by avi-addict » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:37 pm

[quote="Kompos"]
[quote="avi-addict"]
[/quote]

Much appreciated Avi! :kompos: :outtahere: (quote)  You're welcome Manure. Now put down that bloody bottle 'Moerote-Mampoer'  :nono: and go out and recruit members for  :group: 'our' forum.

happyskipper
Taxying Poster
Mozambique

Post by happyskipper » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:49 pm

Hey all - sorry for the late response - I had "laptop issues" and just got them sorted.

Ja, although I am very scarce here these days, I would also be sad to see the "happy" forum go down!  Nobody here seems hell-bent on having "pi$$ing contests" like on Avcom, and I have very much reduced my time on that forum.  I still frequent the original forum most of us came from, albeit in certain threads only.....

Thanks, Moon-toe pilut!!

iApollo
Engine Run Up Poster

Post by iApollo » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:46 am

:utheman:

Kerry R
South Africa

Post by Kerry R » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:14 pm

Whoowhoo you made my day  :beer: :D :-*