Two sunbathers killed as plane lands on beach in Portugal

The place where you can discuss and learn from aviation accidents and or incidents.
Bell 407
Site Admin
South Africa

Postby Bell 407 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:25 pm

Portuguese media says 56-year-old man and eight-year-old girl died after being struck by aircraft on beach at Caparica.

Two people were killed when a light plane made an emergency landing on a beach near Lisbon, Portuguese authorities have said.

The two sunbathers, a 56-year-old man and an eight-year-old girl, died while others ran into the sea when the plane came down on Wednesday.

Hundreds of sunbathers were on the popular São João da Caparica beach, 20 miles (30km) south of Lisbon, at the time. Officials said they were not aware of any other injuries.

“A plane with two people on board made an emergency landing on São João da Caparica beach, striking two sunbathers and causing their deaths,” Portugal’s national maritime authority said in a statement.

The two occupants of the plane were unhurt and were being questioned by officers from Portugal’s national maritime police. The small aircraft, a Cessna, appeared to be in difficulty and wobbled as it skimmed low over the sunbathers, scattering them and spreading panic on the beach, witnesses said.

The plane appeared to have a partly broken left wing, which hung lower than the right wing, according to Portuguese TV pictures. Local reports said the aircraft was registered to a flying school in Torres Vedras.

The Portuguese newspaper Diário de Notícias reported that the Aerocondor aviation school had confirmed the aircraft was “on a training flight with one student and one senior instructor”, who had “high experience and thousands of hours of flying time”.

The dead girl was with her parents, who were unhurt, witnesses told local media. The plane passed over the dead man’s legs as he sunbathed on a towel, they said.

One witness, Rita Rogado, 20, told the Público newspaper that the plane crashed right by the sea, dragging her along for a few metres in the sand.

Some sunbathers said the plane appeared to be gliding, as they heard no engine noise.

The Guardian

Bell 407
Site Admin
South Africa

Re: Two sunbathers killed as plane lands on beach in Portugal

Postby Bell 407 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:26 pm

Raffles
Site Admin
Burkina Faso

Postby Raffles » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:47 am

Very sad, I wonder if there were people in the water? Many pilots have sacrificed themselves to avoid crashing into populated areas or causing harm to others, they could have ditched in shallow water.

There was a similar event a while back but I don't remember where.

Bell 407
Site Admin
South Africa

Postby Bell 407 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:35 am

Raffles wrote:There was a similar event a while back but I don't remember where.

Yes indeed there was. It was in England I think and I did make a post here. Will try and find it.

Return to “Accidents & Incidents”