The VW Emssions Saga

The place to discuss/compare cars's and bikes,etc.
Bell 407
Site Admin
South Africa

The VW Emssions Saga

Post by Bell 407 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:19 am

87J, what's your take on the whole VW emissions saga? Is it just the USA emissions being an issue as I understand they meet European requirements?

Probably lying about the whole thing has not endeared them to many VW owners. Will take some time to get that customer loyalty back I would imagine :nono:

87Juliet
1000 feet Poster
South Africa

Re: The VW Emssions Saga

Post by 87Juliet » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:02 am

Do you want my take on it or the official line from the manufacturer?

Frankly, I don't think VW/Audi are the only ones, I think ALL the manufacturers are cooking these numbers... :carton: :carton:

According to Audi SA/VWSA, the SA market is not affected by this, mostly due to the fact that we don't have emissions legislation in place like the USA does. The official release from Audi SA reads like this:
It is with confidence that we share with you that South Africa is not affected. We do not
have a legislative emission standard, therefore this issue does not apply to South Africa.
We meet the CO2 emissions as published in our official specification sheets.

Yes, I'm fighting multiple fires on a daily basis... :sad: :sad: :giveup: :giveup: :beer:

Bell 407
Site Admin
South Africa

Post by Bell 407 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:10 am

87Juliet wrote:Frankly, I don't think VW/Audi are the only ones, I think ALL the manufacturers are cooking these numbers... :carton: :carton:

My thoughts too. It's just that VW got caught out. Oh well, I'll have to stop saving up for my Bugatti Veyron then :running:

87Juliet
1000 feet Poster
South Africa

Post by 87Juliet » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:24 am

Bell 407 wrote:
87Juliet wrote:Frankly, I don't think VW/Audi are the only ones, I think ALL the manufacturers are cooking these numbers... :carton: :carton:

My thoughts too. It's just that VW got caught out. Oh well, I'll have to stop saving up for my Bugatti Veyron then :running:

NO need to do that, petrol engines aren't affected in any form whatsoever... :good: :good: :champion: :champion:

Moertoe Pilut
2000 feet Poster
Netherlands

Post by Moertoe Pilut » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:17 pm

A friend of mine has a VW transporter. He called me up one night and asked me to give him a hand....I went to have a look at the vehicle and saw that the duct going to the Turbo Charger had come off. On top of that, the duct was full of oil. Now there's two things here that don't make sense, the first is that the duct came off by itself and second that the duct is full of oil.

In my limited understanding is that when the duct is full of oil, the oil WILL end up in your inlet manifold and could cause an engine runaway.

He had it taken back to VW (I was expecting the engine being f*cked with massive blowby, hence the oil in the turbo ducting). He was told it was perfectly normal for a VW to do that. I protested with the guy and told him it shouldn't be that way because of an potential engine runaway. The insisted this was normal and no harm would be done to the engine.

He's still driving it, so I guess they were right but to me this made absolutely no sense at all...

Bell 407
Site Admin
South Africa

Post by Bell 407 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:38 pm

Emissions scandal takes its toll on Porsche

Berlin - The emissions exhaust scandal that has rocked Volkswagen has taken its toll on the automaker's luxury sports-car brand Porsche.

Stuttgart-based Porsche said on Tuesday that after-tax profit plunged by about a half to €1.19-billion in the first nine months from €2.5-billion in the same period in 2014.

The profit from investments was negatively impacted by "expenses incurred by the Volkswagen Group in connection with the diesel emissions issue," said Porsche, which holds a 52.2% ordinary shares in the group.

VW group in crisis

The VW group is battling to overcome a crisis that was sparked by its admission in September that it cheated on emissions tests for its diesel-powered vehicles around the world.

The company revealed last week that the scandal also included testing for carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions in up to 800 000 VW cars.

The scale of the scandal has resulted in the company losing about one third of its value since the affair first emerged in the middle of September.

VW has already signaled that the emissions scandal will result in the group reporting significantly lower profit this year compared with 2014.

Porsche, which holds 30.8% of VW's capital stock confirmed that it expects a net profit of between €0.8 and €1.8-billion in 2015 - down from €3.0-billion in 2014.

More news about VW's emissions scandal:

Emissions scandal: Would you accept a R14 000 VW 'gift'?
Volkswagen is offering owners of its diesel cars 'a goodwill package'. Even if you accept the gift you can still sue the automaker, reports AP.

German authorities believe Volkswagen will likely need to make more than just software changes to nearly a quarter of its 2.4 million diesel cars being recalled in the country.

Wheels24

Moertoe Pilut
2000 feet Poster
Netherlands

Post by Moertoe Pilut » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:28 pm

It's a diesel, it must smoke and stink otherwise there's something wrong with it!

Bell 407
Site Admin
South Africa

Post by Bell 407 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:04 am

Emissions scandal: More Audi, Porsches with cheat software

New York - Volkswagen's emissions cheating scandal escalated on Tuesday after VW subsidiaries Audi and Porsche admitted that their engines contained software considered illegal in the United States.

Some 13 000 Porsche Cayenne units are affected, not only 3000 as assumed previously, a company spokesman said in Stuttgart.

Porsche buys its diesel engines from Audi, which admitted on Monday (November 23) evening that engines it manufactured contained the controversial software.

Cheating emissions tests

Volkswagen has been in hot water since September when US regulators announced their investigation into allegations that Volkswagen had installed software into its cars that tricked testing devices and made it seem that they conformed to US emissions standards when they, in fact, exceeded them.

The affected Cayenne models date back to 2013. Previously, only the model year 2015 had been looked at. The new findings significantly increase the number of cars affected.

Diesel cars are only a sideline of Porsche's business, as the majority of its customers prefer petrol engines. However, around one-quarter of its Cayenne SUV sold in the United States are fitted with diesel engines. Porsche stopped selling the diesel version at the beginning of November.

It was not immediately clear how the new revelations would affect customers, as internal talks were still ongoing, the Porsche spokesman said. The company was also in touch with the US authorities and cooperating fully with them, he said.

'Defeat device'

Audi says it told US regulators that its 3.0-litre diesel cars used three software programmes that it had not previously revealed when obtaining regulatory approvals. One of those programmes could be considered to be a "defeat device" under US law.

Volkswagen has previously maintained that the emissions scandal was confined to its 2.0-litre diesel engines, which it manufactures, while denying that larger engines manufactured by sister company Audi were similarly suspect.

The affected VW engines were used in some Audi models.

While Audi admits it did not initially reveal the programmes in the 3.0-litre engines to US authorities, it denies that the software was meant to manipulate emissions. A company spokesman said that cars with the engines could not detect whether they were on the road or being tested, which the illegal VW software could do.

The software affects Audi, Volkswagen and Porsche models reaching back to 2009, or approximately 85 000 cars in the United States.

Wheels24