FR24 Feed losing targets

A place for internet issues, PC's, lapdogs, iWhatever's, smart phones, etc.
Joeatc
Engine Run Up Poster
Argentina

FR24 Feed losing targets

Post by Joeatc » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:52 pm

Howdy folks

I have a FR24 receiver on my farm in Argentina. Its location is quite close to a local airport, approximately 10nm on final to a runway. I've noticed that the overflights are all 'painting' normally, but, the aircraft inbound to this particular airport and coming from the east, all disappear at around 180km. When the aircraft departs it only shows up again at the same range again.

Is there a filter I'm missing or what the heck is going on? I have asked FR about it and they say all the data indications are normal. I am stumped. How I first noticed it was when my daughter was supposed to fetch me from that airport and she never pitched because she was watching for the flight and it never showed. Any ideas anyone? :thinking:

Bell 407
Site Admin
South Africa

Re: FR24 Feed losing targets

Post by Bell 407 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:59 am

Morning Joe, unfortunately I have no insight into the FR24 receiver but could ask the following:

(1) Did you get good targets at lower altitudes before?
(2) What antenna are you using? The supplied one or do you have your own?
(3) Have you rebooted the receiver?

Other than that, I am stymied too :thinking:

great dane
1000 feet Poster
Denmark

Post by great dane » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:07 am

Any terrain to that side? I have it with Waterkloof 4K away to the southwest. Things coming from the west or northwest I will usually only catch if they do a downwind leg on the eastside of the field.
Some days I see everything, presume atmospherics reflections helping the signal over the ridge?

In Bolivia when using it at the airport in La Paz I found the aircraft disappeared when within a +/-1K radius, no obstructions, so never found out what that was about. Some sort of interference from equipment at airport was my best guess, just strange it didn't effect aircraft further away.

Joeatc
Engine Run Up Poster
Argentina

Post by Joeatc » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:51 pm

1) Never noticed or looked. Its a quiet airport, one schedule a day.
2)Supplied
3)Yes
GD
No terrain issues, its flat. The Andes are 200km in the opposite direction.

I'm trying to understand the graph on the user page. Is the round range one aligned with north as your receiver is receiving or can you not assume that?