To MacBook or not to Macbook?

A place for internet issues, PC's, lapdogs, iWhatever's, smart phones, etc.
Bell 407
Site Admin
South Africa

To MacBook or not to Macbook?

Post by Bell 407 » Sat May 21, 2016 3:32 pm

So I am seriously considering trying out a device and moving to The Dark Side. Looking at the new MacBook ultrathin unit. Very very naaaas indeed :cool2: :cool2:

I do know that Moertoe will be happy to hear this :haha: :haha:

Raffles
Site Admin
Burkina Faso

Re: To MacBook or not to Macbook?

Post by Raffles » Sat May 21, 2016 6:40 pm

I'm considering a Mac Book for Rafflette too, because she doesn't like Ubuntu and I think Windows 10 sucks.

Moertoe Pilut
2000 feet Poster
United Arab Emirates

Post by Moertoe Pilut » Sun May 22, 2016 1:15 am

Mac is a very nice computer and has an excellent operating system, hands down. However price wise, looking back I might consider a Dell with Ubuntu on it. In other words. If you can afford it, go Mac, if price is an issue, go cheaper but stay away from Windows.

I used to run Windows since it came out on the 386 (I think it was) and it was great for a number of years (unaware of Mac). The spyware and viruses just got to me and the registry on how to un-install programs. My birthday is coming up and I asked the misses for a second hand notebook. I'll install Linux on it and see how it goes as the Mac is too hard too carry around.

Final: I will NEVER trade in my Mac for a Windows thing.

Bell 407
Site Admin
South Africa

Post by Bell 407 » Sun May 22, 2016 7:56 am

Thanks Moertoe. Yes, it does require shelling out a bit of coin (actually quite a lot of coin) but it certainly looks like a unit that will last and last and last ... :thinking:

Propnut
Engine Run Up Poster
South Africa

Post by Propnut » Sun May 22, 2016 10:06 am

Well I am on the other side of the fence. I use Windows 10 only as an operating system. All my other programs are replacements for what Microsoft Office offers. I have been using the same malware and anti-virus software for the last 10 years with no problems to date. My browser and e-mail are also non Microsoft products.

I have only one regret that will be corrected one day in the future. I have 3 hard drives in my PC. I should have split my operating system (Windows 10) from my data and games by partitioning the hard drives. Currently these three areas all sit on one drive split into three partitions, which makes for busy reading and writing to the same disk, while the other two have very light traffic loads.

I have only seen and worked on one Mac PC quite a while ago. I did not have enough time on it to really make up my mind, but working daily in an IBM/Microsoft environment meant I would always be biased towards one side.

Moertoe Pilut
2000 feet Poster
United Arab Emirates

Post by Moertoe Pilut » Sun May 22, 2016 2:29 pm

The other plus side of the Mac is the Time Machine. You back up your hard drive with the Time Machine and should your hard drive crash, you can restore everything (yes you read that correct,everything) back onto your new hard drive without loosing anything. There are currently no known viruses for Mac and I have never had any spyware or malware on my Mac either. I don't run any anti virus programs or any anti spyware/malware programs either.

From what I understand, the same thing goes for Linux. A safe operating system. Once I get my birthday present and have Linux running on it, I can give you more feedback.

Raffles
Site Admin
Burkina Faso

Post by Raffles » Sun May 22, 2016 3:48 pm

They are safe but hackers are starting to try their luck. See this topic, Mac Hack.