Got a New Laptop for Christmas? Here’s What to Do With Your Old One

A place for internet issues, PC's, lapdogs, iWhatever's, smart phones, etc.
Raffles
Site Admin
Burkina Faso

Got a New Laptop for Christmas? Here’s What to Do With Your Old One

Post by Raffles » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:11 pm

Quite interesting. I put Linux Ubuntu on my old one and use it for online banking.

But I like the server idea.

You got a sweet new laptop for the holidays to replace that old clunker you’ve been using for years. So what do you do with that old one? Before you unceremoniously dump it in the trash, consider giving it a second life. Here’s how.

Repurpose it

Just because your old laptop won’t be your primary computer anymore doesn’t mean it can’t be used for something else.

Specifically, consider using it as a network-attached storage (NAS) server for your household.

That might sound pretty techie. But, in truth, NAS is just a place where you can store photos, music, videos, and other shared files, which you can then access from all of your other computers, smartphones, or tablets.

One of the more popular pieces of software you can use for this purpose is called FreeNAS — which, as its name implies, is free to use. You’ll have to follow the instructions closely to install the software. But once you’ve got it up and running, your seemingly worthless laptop will have a new reason to live.

Read more at Yahoo Tech

Bell 407
Site Admin
South Africa

Re: Got a New Laptop for Christmas? Here’s What to Do With Your Old One

Post by Bell 407 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:16 pm

That server idea does sound a good one. Further investigation will be required :good: :good: