Best 3G/4G data deal?

A place for internet issues, PC's, lapdogs, iWhatever's, smart phones, etc.
Moertoe Pilut
2000 feet Poster
United Arab Emirates

Best 3G/4G data deal?

Post by Moertoe Pilut » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:51 pm

Does anyone know who has the best deal on data packages when it comes to 3G or 4G? I'll be using it in Cape Town only as the flat has no wifi there. I'm planning on getting one of these little sim wifi routers:

I'll probably need around 20Gb per month. I'll be using it mainly to surf our site (from my iPad) and watch some Xfinity TV on the iPad also. I was told Cell C has the best deals but I'm not sure how great the coverage is in Cape Town, especially the Bloubergstrand area, since my 3G/4G is already battling there with Vodacom.

Any ideas or better options?

Raffles
Site Admin
Burkina Faso

Re: Best 3G/4G data deal?

Post by Raffles » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:09 pm

I ditched Vodakrom, I'm with Telkom at the momment and the 3G signals are OK at most places I go to, except on the N3 to Durban!

Moertoe Pilut
2000 feet Poster
United Arab Emirates

Post by Moertoe Pilut » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:27 pm

Looks Telkom has the best deal so far, unlimited calls and data for R999, I'm paying R1000 with Vodascum and I get only 700 free minutes and 1Gb....Anyone know what the general reception of Telkom is?

Bell 407
Site Admin
South Africa

Post by Bell 407 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:40 pm

I'm on 20Gb per month for R999 with Vodacom 3G/4G. Used to be on contract as I got the mini wifi modem as well. Now it's just month to month.

Raffles
Site Admin
Burkina Faso

Post by Raffles » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:43 pm

Telkom is good at both the places I stay, Joburg and Durban, it's never been down, but in between towns on the road not so good, only good around Harrismith. But they might be improving it because I never used to get a signal in the gym in Meyersdal, but now I get 3G

Moertoe Pilut
2000 feet Poster
United Arab Emirates

Post by Moertoe Pilut » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:14 pm

Wonder if 87J would know how the reception is in Slaapstad?

great dane
1000 feet Poster
Denmark

Post by great dane » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:47 pm

Afrihost (via MTN) ?

R987 pm for 20Gb, advantage is no contract period, quit when you want.

Raffles
Site Admin
Burkina Faso

Post by Raffles » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:49 pm

I ditched them (Afrihost) too. They sold their soul to MTN. The minute they did that everything went south. The poorest service you can imagine.

I'm fairly happy with Telkom and Crystal Web. Although Crystal Web doesn't have wireless internet as far as I know.

MWEB might have wireless.

Moertoe Pilut
2000 feet Poster
United Arab Emirates

Post by Moertoe Pilut » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:20 pm

What I'll do is get a sim card from 8ta and put it in an old phone. I'll check the reception in Cape Town, Port Elizabeth and Durban. If all is well, I will switch to them this month, they offer far better options then Vodascum.

great dane
1000 feet Poster
Denmark

Post by great dane » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:18 pm

Raffles wrote:They sold their soul to MTN. The minute they did that everything went south. The poorest service you can imagine..

Can you elaborate on that? I am on Afrihost DSL and MTN phone for the last 5 years and have been quite happy with both.

Phone going Afrihost as well next time to prepare for our departure (don't want a long contract still when we are leaving). I know it shouldn't be a problem, but better safe than sorry.

Bell 407
Site Admin
South Africa

Post by Bell 407 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:57 pm

great dane wrote:to prepare for our departure.

Hey GD, when you planning of leaving?

great dane
1000 feet Poster
Denmark

Post by great dane » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:44 pm

Bell 407 wrote:Hey GD, when you planning of leaving?

Planning on mid-2018, but the closer we get the more tempting other offers will become ;)

Bell 407
Site Admin
South Africa

Post by Bell 407 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:00 pm

great dane wrote:
Bell 407 wrote:Hey GD, when you planning of leaving?

Planning on mid-2018, but the closer we get the more tempting other offers will become ;)

Well good to know you will be around till then :champion: :champion:

Moertoe Pilut
2000 feet Poster
United Arab Emirates

Post by Moertoe Pilut » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:18 pm

Well I think I'll give 8ta a big miss. Turns out their R999 package (excluding phone) does not have unlimited data, well not in the sense that I understood it. It gives you unlimited data on their WiFi spots. What a rip off and false advertisement :Don't Like:

Raffles
Site Admin
Burkina Faso

Post by Raffles » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:12 pm

great dane wrote:
Raffles wrote:They sold their soul to MTN. The minute they did that everything went south. The poorest service you can imagine..

Can you elaborate on that? I am on Afrihost DSL and MTN phone for the last 5 years and have been quite happy with both.

Phone going Afrihost as well next time to prepare for our departure (don't want a long contract still when we are leaving). I know it shouldn't be a problem, but better safe than sorry.

I had low bandwidth problems and they were extremely slack at getting them sorted out, and more than once. Couldn't get them on the phone, it would go to one of those automatic voices and more than once I waited more than 20 minutes without success. I only got them by email and they would send a question or instruction but then take 24 hours to reply to each question I answered. Consequently it took over a week to get my internet working and they refused to compensate me for the downtime. Never again with them.

87Juliet
1000 feet Poster
South Africa

Post by 87Juliet » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:53 am

Raffles wrote:
great dane wrote:

I had low bandwidth problems and they were extremely slack at getting them sorted out, and more than once. Couldn't get them on the phone, it would go to one of those automatic voices and more than once I waited more than 20 minutes without success. I only got them by email and they would send a question or instruction but then take 24 hours to reply to each question I answered. Consequently it took over a week to get my internet working and they refused to compensate me for the downtime. Never again with them.

Raffles, I've had interaction with Afrihost in the last week and I cannot gush enough about the great interaction. I have interacted via phone, live chat on their website, SMS msg and email. No issues and super quick and the girl that helped me last time was super sharp and knew her stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vorsprung! Zer0-Eight-Two_Niner_Fower_wun-7-Zero-Ate-Too

great dane
1000 feet Poster
Denmark

Post by great dane » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:02 am

Raffles wrote:I had low bandwidth problems and they were extremely slack at getting them sorted out, and more than once. Couldn't get them on the phone, it would go to one of those automatic voices and more than once I waited more than 20 minutes without success. I only got them by email and they would send a question or instruction but then take 24 hours to reply to each question I answered. Consequently it took over a week to get my internet working and they refused to compensate me for the downtime. Never again with them.

Thx for the info. I have also been luckier than that. Used the SMS notification and was always called back promptly by competent people. Twice the even helped me solve a Telkom issue even I a have the line direct with Telkom.

Bandwidth is occasionally an issue, but usually doesn't last long.

Moertoe Pilut
2000 feet Poster
United Arab Emirates

Post by Moertoe Pilut » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:16 pm

Ok, after testing and paying throughout my butt, I finally made the decision to go for Cell C. Works fine in CPT-DUR and in my house. Just bought a R3 sim card and put it into my Vodafone Mobile Wi-Fi R209 and did a speed check.

We did a speed test in Table view with both Vodacom and Cell C:

Vodacom: 3Mbps download
Cell C: 7,5Mbps download

The data bundles are far cheaper with Cell C. I also cancelled my ridiculous over priced Vodacom contract today and will be moving over end of the month to Cell C, unlimited calls to any network and 10 or 15Gb of data for R999. If you don't take a phone, they'll pay me R20,000 buy out from Vodacom. Needless to say, goodbye Vodacom!

Raffles
Site Admin
Burkina Faso

Post by Raffles » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:18 am

Regarding Afrihost, sometimes these companies pull their socks up when enough customers dump them, it won't last long. Just like the govt before an election.

Moertoe Pilut
2000 feet Poster
United Arab Emirates

Post by Moertoe Pilut » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:26 pm

I moved two months ago to Cell C from Vodascum and haven't had any problems. They even paid my R10,000 for leaving Vodascum and they paid the missus R6000 for the same. Anywho, their deal that they pay you up to R20,000 is ending on Saturday. So anyone being unhappy with the others, Cell C is your uncle :yeeha: