DSTv, so much more (reasons to get rid of it)

A place for internet issues, PC's, lapdogs, iWhatever's, smart phones, etc.
Stevie H
Engine Starting Poster

DSTv, so much more (reasons to get rid of it)

Postby Stevie H » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:53 pm

DSTV, so much more (reasons to get rid of it)

DSTV replacement

As I'm staring at the black hole (South Africa), I can't stop wondering how the oppressed people of this great nation feel about continuously being screwed over. The majority of the population have subscribed to an overpriced television service called DSTV. The prices of this "service" are just plain ridiculous and offer little to nothing, other than a repeat of a repeat. But what are the alternatives? Most individuals would say that there isn't an alternative. And here's where they are WRONG!

Price list of DSTV

The black hole has internet through out most of the country, although also overpriced and falling into the category of being one of the most expensive in the world, yet the majority of its people have internet access. This is all you need to replace DSTV, let me explain:

With a 2Mbps uncapped ADSL line or a similar internet solution, you can watch the latest movies, soap series, documentaries or cartoons for the children without having to wait for it to air and at it would cost one R220,00 at the most (excluding your internet service).

One would need to purchase a little device called Apple TV. The price of this device is around R1400. The device has a lot more than just allowing you to watch internet television. For more details on the device you can click here.

Apple TV

What do you need?
Let me break down what one would need to view internet television in the dark hole:

• Electricity, preferably from a generator as Eskom leaves the entire country in darkness
  • At least a 2Mbps internet service with either wifi or Lan Cable
  • Apple TV device
  • An USA iStore account (must be US in order to enjoy Internet TV to the most)
  • A DNS server that "places" your device in the United States
  • A subscription to either Hulu Plus or Netflix

The Cost:
The cost in the list below does not take into account the price of the Internet Service Provider nor the Apple TV device
  • A few litres of Petrol for your generator at around R13.85 per litre
  • USA iStore account is for free and can be topped up with vouchers which can be purchased over the internet (details in the article below)
  • The DNS server would cost $4,99 (a little over R50,00)
  • Hulu Plus or Netflix costs $7.99 per month (a little over R85,00)
  • Total cost: R135,00 per month (based upon one subscription, either Hulu or Netflix)

Getting started:
Start by downloading iTunes. This only has to be done by individuals that do not own an iPad,iPhone or MAC. Once downloaded read this article which helps you setting up an American iStore account.

Next up you will need a DNS server (this server virtually places the apple device in the USA). The DNS server is needed to change your Internet location. Without this you will not be able to view any of the American Internet TV content. For the DNS server I would recommend Unotelly. Unotelly has 2 servers in the dark hole, one in the violent city of Johannesburg and the other server is placed in the homosexual city of Cape Town. Unotelly has a free trial period of around a week.

Unotelly server locations

Now that you have the DNS server it is time to set up your Apple TV. It is important to watch the tutorial in this short movie in order for your Apple TV to work correctly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPVdVKckyf4

Now that your device is setup you can start your free trial with either Hulu Plus or Netflix.

ImageImage
Netflix/Hulu Plus service providers

Note:
The Unotelly DNS server, Hulu Plus and Netflix all have a free trial period. To see and experience all what Apple TV has to offer in the black hole, use the free trial period before committing yourself or before buying US iStore vouchers.

Buying iStore vouchers:
There are several ways of purchasing iStore vouchers over the internet. All of them will obviously make some amount of money out of these vouchers. Some of these providers are: iTunes Giftcards and iTunes Vouchers. I personally would buy them over eBay as this works out cheaper. When purchasing through eBay make sure that you buy from a reputable seller. The chap I buy from has a great rating ganq2000.

For a complete guide of Apple TV channels, click here.

And with this my dear oppressed friends from the dark hole, you can safely give DSTV the boot and save quite a bit of money.

Happy viewing,

Stevie
Life would be tragic if it weren't funny.

Raffles
Site Admin
Burkina Faso

Re: DSTV, so much more (reasons to get rid of it)

Postby Raffles » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:38 pm

Thanks for sharing! I have never had DSTV and never will. I actually don't have a TV (since around 1995 - just to prove it is not a passing phase). I get everything I need off the internet. Therefore I don't pay the ANCBC (or SABC) TV license fees.
Hindsight is what you see from the tail gunner's position. :D

Moertoe Pilut
2000 feet Poster
Netherlands

Postby Moertoe Pilut » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:02 pm

I personally like this IPTV:

Works out to about R263,00 per month....Probably not as much content as Netflix/Hulu Plus but still a nice package.

Gooneybird
Engine Run Up Poster
South Africa

Postby Gooneybird » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:52 pm

Thanks Stevie, I am "approaching" the point of decision BUT the lack of sport on the said option is the irritant at the mo! With my 2 x favorite sports (Rugby & Cricket) going through their current hiccups the decision is fast approaching reality.
I'm ONLY responsible for what I say......NOTwhat you understand !

Moertoe Pilut
2000 feet Poster
Netherlands

Postby Moertoe Pilut » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:27 pm

Gooney,

Get rid of DSTV, you won't regret it. If you really want to see the rugby at home (vs sipping on a cold one in the pub watching the rugby..) get an iPad or similar tablet, download DSTV Now and ask a friend or family member (who has DSTV premium) to use their account on your tablet. That way you can stream the rugby live. That's how I got my stuff set up and gave DSTV the boot last month and I'm not regretting it.

Bell 407
Site Admin
South Africa

Postby Bell 407 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:45 am

DStv: It’s not a repeat if you haven’t seen it

"A repeat is not a repeat if you haven't seen it," David Booth told the press invited to MultiChoice's 5 day content showcase.

Channel24

Moertoe Pilut
2000 feet Poster
Netherlands

Postby Moertoe Pilut » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:27 am

"We're seeing repeats and archive programming having more life. Having exclusively live content available costs billions and no broadcaster in the world has that kind of offering," said David Booth.
Really? So why do most American TV providers have it than? Or even Hulu? Hulu showcases a few hours after it's been broadcasted by whomever. DSTV comes in the picture months later, after they run out of repeats.

Next week is the season finale of "The Last Ship" season 2. Has season 2 even started on DSTV yet? Let me guess, The Last Ship isn't popular enough for South African audience....while it is one of the most popular tv shows in the US......I'm so glad I got rid of DSTV, it saved me a sh*tload of money and I get to watch "so much more"! :thumbs:

Raffles
Site Admin
Burkina Faso

Postby Raffles » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:40 pm

Like I said, I haven't had a TV since around 1995. Most of the stuff I want to watch I can find on the internet.

Bell 407
Site Admin
South Africa

Re: DSTv, so much more (reasons to get rid of it)

Postby Bell 407 » Wed May 04, 2016 4:05 pm

Moertoe, just thought you might like to note what you will be missing out on DSTv this May :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

C D Kruger
Engine Run Up Poster
South Africa

Postby C D Kruger » Wed May 04, 2016 4:25 pm

Sir 407 if Moertoe is half like me the Kardashians will not be on the to watch list. I'm the same as Raffles no tv leksens and when the digital migration eventually happens there will be no more tv. Got a couple of serious pals that get me any movie or program from the internet at no cost.

Bell 407
Site Admin
South Africa

Postby Bell 407 » Wed May 04, 2016 4:31 pm

CD, I was sure Moertoe was a Kardashians fan :peekaboo:

Moertoe Pilut
2000 feet Poster
Netherlands

Postby Moertoe Pilut » Wed May 04, 2016 4:34 pm

I hate that show but yes it is available on Hulu Plus, so dSTV is not alone. In fact they're probably already some episodes behind....

Moertoe Pilut
2000 feet Poster
Netherlands

Postby Moertoe Pilut » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:41 pm

Well chaps, looks like Unotelly has given up its fight with Netflix. Netflix keeps finding ways to stop DNS blockers such as Unotelly. So instead of using Unotelly for Hulu Plus or Netflix, use Smart DNS Proxy. Happy viewing!

Raffles
Site Admin
Burkina Faso

Postby Raffles » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:10 am

Cool! I wouldn't have DTSV if they paid me. Well I am negotiable so if they pay me a couple of grand per month I might.

Bell 407
Site Admin
South Africa

Postby Bell 407 » Fri May 05, 2017 9:34 am

Right then, so I have upgraded the home Wifi with WiruLink (wiru.co.za) for R799pm for a 5Mb line and throttling only starts at 375Gb pm. Have been happy with the setup since 21 March 2017. But decided this week to upgrade the standard router they supply to a more advanced and faster unit. That has proven to be very good.

Now, I am off to look at getting the DSTv Wifi box thingy to connect up the Explora to the interweb and will then access Netflix/ShowMax etc. Will let you know how it goes.

Moertoe Pilut
2000 feet Poster
Netherlands

Postby Moertoe Pilut » Fri May 05, 2017 8:40 pm

Forget about netflix unless you're going to use a DNS server. Netflix content for SA sucks.

Bell 407
Site Admin
South Africa

Postby Bell 407 » Fri May 05, 2017 9:39 pm

Moertoe Pilut wrote:Forget about netflix unless you're going to use a DNS server. Netflix content for SA sucks.

Thanks for the heads-up :good:

Bell 407
Site Admin
South Africa

Postby Bell 407 » Sun May 07, 2017 11:46 am

Right then, so as a DSTv Premium subscriber I got a discount on signing up for ShowMax. Reduced from R99 pm to R69 pm.

Yes I know there is the whole debate about getting rid of DSTv but for now, accessing ShowMax via my Explora has worked well. We watched the first episode of The Young Pope last night and there were no problems with the download or viewing it online. Quite a happy chappy for now :good:

Moertoe Pilut
2000 feet Poster
Netherlands

Postby Moertoe Pilut » Sun May 07, 2017 5:57 pm

They're selling these media boxes as well now. You get them pre loaded with a certain bouquet and you can watch basically anything you want, latest movies and series for a once of fee. I think asking price is R2500. Another reason to get rid of DSTV.

Return to “The Tech Shack”