Aviation Tales, this is my story:

Discuss aviation related topics, rumors and gossip here. Leave News for the "Aviation News" section.
great dane
1000 feet Poster
Denmark

Re: Aviation Tales, this is my story:

Post by great dane » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:00 am

Moertoe Pilut wrote:Were we stupid? Was it unwise?

I am 110% unqualified to comments so here goes :wacko:

I you are 100% sure that when the door is properly shut, it will be as secure as ever even if fluid leaks and pressure disappears then I see no problem in this bush fix.

On a more general note, I am getting a little fed up with all the over the top safety measures/regulations/rules/practices being put in place to replace commonsense. Some of these to possibly save a life or a finger a million years down the line. Even if no previous issues are recorded, but because some safety official found it 'dangerous'.

Life is valuable, but! Example, driving on the highway around London, someone had a puncture and pulled into the emergency lane to change to tire. Police closed the two! inner lanes to keep him safe. Creating a huge traffic jam with increased risk of other accidents. Just stupid and excessive IMHO.

According to some a good thing I am not flying airplanes or professionally involved in aviation :green:

Moertoe Pilut
2000 feet Poster
United Arab Emirates

Post by Moertoe Pilut » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:36 am

I was 100% sure that once the sequence pins were locked in place the door would never be able to open by itself. The system works like this: You hold the switch in the close position, the door comes down by the main actuators. Once the door is down the system over centres the "hooks" and latch the door shut. Only once the hooks are in place will the system push all sequencing pins through the hooks (the hooks have little holes in where the pins go through) until all of them are through. With all pins through the hooks, the system shuts itself down (removing the pump motor and hydraulics from the system) regardless if the switch is still in the close position.

In our case one of the sequencing pins had a leak on the actuator and wouldn't go through the hooks. The 10 cent piece stopped the leak and allowed the sequencing pin to go through the hook. A non event really but yeah not a "legal" repair.

Moertoe Pilut
2000 feet Poster
United Arab Emirates

No Brakes!

Post by Moertoe Pilut » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:48 pm

No Brakes…..

Once again, a while back I was invited again by the same company from my previous story to fly their Boeing 727 for the week. It’s a great way for me to stay current on the machine, so yes, why not? They paxed me over to Cape Town on a late flight to catch up with the airplane. They told me to rush as the departure time was supposed to be around 21:00 that night. Well I got there with my crew only to find out that they were still performing maintenance.

I then got told that the airplane wouldn’t be departing because the emergency brake bottle was low and they needed a new full bottle. I asked them how much was in there and they told me it had around 1100PSI remaining. Well for dispatch (as far as I can remember) the figure is 1100PSI so I told them I would take the airplane back to JNB as the bottle was within limits.

They agreed that I would take the airplane and than asked me to run the engines for them as a post maintenance function check. Sure no problem, I’ll do that for you. So they towed the airplane out of the hangar onto a taxi lane. I was than asked to go upstairs and run the number 2 engine for them (the number 2 engine has an engine driven hydraulic pump). I set the parking brake, switched the system B pump switches on and switched the left forward and right aft centre tank boost pumps on. Anti collision light on and I’m ready to start….

The mechanic is on intercom and gives me the all clear to start. So I engage the starter, start valve opens, N2 starts rotating and oil pressure starts to rise. At 20% N2 I raised the start lever and we get a normal light up and at 35% N2 I release the starter, starter valve closes. Next thing I know the mechanic is telling me to set the parking brake. So I tell him the parking brake is set and is showing 3000PSI brake pressure. He’s panicking now and says the airplane is moving and the fuel truck is approaching the airplane.

I release the parking brake and slam on the brakes, but nothing is happening. Knowing I can’t use the emergency air brake (otherwise it will be below minimum dispatch) I pull the number 2 engine in full reverse thrust and stop the airplane. I then tell the idiots to chock the airplane so I can release the reverse thrust and shut down the engine. They finally did and I let the revers slowly come back to idle reverse and then out of reverse.

Then its time to shut down the engine…..and investigate why this airplane doesn’t have any brakes. First off all these mechanics want to blame me, so i told them to fark off. As I come down to the gears I see that both gears brake lockout cylinders are in the de-boost position, the very reason I had no braking. Then Moertoe lost it completely and nearly decked the lead mechanic.

If these idiots just had pulled out the debooster back into the green band, I would have had full braking. This stunt nearly caused me to collide with a fuel truck, potentially blowing up myself and the driver.

We left late that night as the Flight Engineer did a very extensive pre-flight inspection/walk around. Lesson learned, never assist maintenance again, let them destroy the airplane themselves.

great dane
1000 feet Poster
Denmark

Post by great dane » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:28 am

Another interesting story. Happy you lived to tell the tale :good:

Lindsay Powell
Engine Starting Poster
Tanzania

Post by Lindsay Powell » Thu May 05, 2016 3:45 pm

Yep, us ground engineers are all hopeless incompetents.

VRef

Post by VRef » Thu May 05, 2016 5:33 pm

Lindsay Powell wrote:Yep, us ground engineers are all hopeless incompetents.

Lindsay Powell - No need to weep and gnash your teeth - rather respond with some tales of your own! I am pretty sure that a good ground engineer like yourself could regale us with some stories that show just how lucky these airline pilots are....... to be alive! :yikes:

For instance there's that hoary old one about the Snag Sheet reading: "Autoland very rough in this aircraft" - followed by the Tech's "This aircraft not fitted with Autoland"....

C'mon, show us what you've got! :reading:

Moertoe Pilut
2000 feet Poster
United Arab Emirates

Post by Moertoe Pilut » Thu May 05, 2016 5:46 pm

Lindsay Powell wrote:Yep, us ground engineers are all hopeless incompetents.
I didn't mean to make it sound that all ground engineers are "hopeless incompetent", just a few that I had to deal with (I am an ex ground engineer btw). Same goes for pilots, there's quite a number out there that shouldn't be in a cockpit.

happyskipper
Taxying Poster
Mozambique

Post by happyskipper » Thu May 05, 2016 5:47 pm

Yes - Lindsay - how about some juicy tales from your side? i am sure that you have plenty to share!

Lindsay Powell
Engine Starting Poster
Tanzania

Post by Lindsay Powell » Fri May 06, 2016 10:11 am

Sorry everyone, just grumpy right now. Will post a lovely pilot cock-up as soon as I work out how.

Bell 407
Site Admin
South Africa

Post by Bell 407 » Fri May 06, 2016 10:13 am

Lindsay Powell wrote:Will post a lovely pilot cock-up as soon as I work out how.

:clap: :clap:

Shout if you need some help posting :good:

Lindsay Powell
Engine Starting Poster
Tanzania

Post by Lindsay Powell » Fri May 06, 2016 10:16 am

Tell me how, I have a short video.

Bell 407
Site Admin
South Africa

Post by Bell 407 » Fri May 06, 2016 10:21 am

Lindsay Powell wrote:Tell me how, I have a short video.

Is the video in YouTube or Vimeo format? If so, then you can use this link to embed it in a post: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=21536

If not, send me a PM and we can figure out how to get it hosted and posted :good: