Aviation Tales, this is my story:

Discuss aviation related topics, rumors and gossip here. Leave News for the "Aviation News" section.
Moertoe Pilut
2000 feet Poster
Netherlands

Re: Captain you missed the taxiway

Post by Moertoe Pilut » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:34 am

Yeah be weary about "braking action good to moderate" in Keflavik!

Moertoe Pilut
2000 feet Poster
Netherlands

Re: Home Made "Flow Control"

Post by Moertoe Pilut » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:50 am

Now that I'm thinking of it, member "Bob The Dog" was the Flight Engineer on that test fight.

Pine
Engine Run Up Poster
South Africa

Re: Home Made "Flow Control"

Post by Pine » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:53 am

Good heavens. Didn't know it was possible to fiddle around with an aircraft like that :eek: :shock:

Very interesting reading :thumbs:

Have this "boss" of yours ever thought of patenting his inventions? :bingo:

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you plant.

Pine
Engine Run Up Poster
South Africa

Post by Pine » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:05 am

Wow...........you "...could've danced all night..." with "Moertoe & FEJ on Ice" :twisted:

avi-addict
Taxying Poster

Post by avi-addict » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:58 pm

Wow, skating on ice you did? (and not 'skyting' on ice . . . ) :funny:

Due to WHAT was Munt's hand broken? :catfight: ?????? :whistle: :bingo:

If you can't convince them, confuse them or cast a spell over them.  I'm the witch, then there's the cat and the broom . . .

four engine jock
Engine Run Up Poster
Cuba

Post by four engine jock » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:46 pm

[quote=""avi-addict""]Wow, skating on ice you did? (and not 'skyting' on ice . . . ) :funny:

Due to WHAT was Munt's hand broken? :catfight: ?????? :whistle: :bingo:[/quote]
I don't remember what happened but he even had pins on his hand.

Moertoe Pilut
2000 feet Poster
Netherlands

Post by Moertoe Pilut » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:39 pm

Had a fight with the wall, which ended up having a few pins installed into my right hand... :whistle:

Raffles
Site Admin
Burkina Faso

Post by Raffles » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:22 pm

Sounds like it should have been someone's gob. Or were you just angry with the wall?

Hindsight is what you see from the tail gunner's position. :D

Moertoe Pilut
2000 feet Poster
Netherlands

Post by Moertoe Pilut » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:34 pm

I chose the wall instead of the "individual's gob"....

Gooneybird
Engine Run Up Poster
South Africa

Post by Gooneybird » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:44 pm

[quote=""Moertoe Pilut""]I chose the wall instead of the "individual's gob"....[/quote]

.......just like when the wall falls on my cellphone..........Eish........dan werk hy "eers"nie weer nie??

:oops:

I'm ONLY responsible for what I say......NOTwhat you understand !

Raffles
Site Admin
Burkina Faso

Aviation Tales - This is my story . . . .

Post by Raffles » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:11 am

Experience Counts:

Here's a little story, no  :bull:

I'm on a few days off in Joburg, get a call from Denel, can I ferry a plane (B727 converted to cargo) to Spain? Ok I've never been there before but I'm game, salary's good. Find a crew and do the job. Turns out the plane didn't have a GPS so I trundled down to a famous outdoor shop in Alberton, buy me a GPS off the shelf, was a Garmin dash mount whatever for hunting (no aviation database). Made a few calls, and the crew was eventually , Raffles (Capt), Alan Lewis (Co Pilot)  :RIP:, Johan Vermaak (F/E) and Marius (forget his surname - Ground Engineer) as well as an American guy "Uncle Bob". I didn't have any Jepp charts or nav stuff for Spain, but the company in the USA for whom we were doing the ferry faxed me the Jepp Charts and used up a whole roll of fax paper. Remember this is with less than 36 hours notice. I ran the nav logs through Raffles' own nav software (another 5 beer story - yes I wrote nav software in those days). We were flying and living in PNR (Pointe Noire, Congo) then so I decided this was the ideal time to take as much stuff there as possible. We loaded as much sh!t into the plane as we could, to offload at PNR, and that conveniently became our first fuel stop.

The first leg of the journey was uneventful although the GPS only worked for some of the way (not all the satellites were there in those days). The rest we did DR. (Antie, DR is Dead Reckoning, sort of thumb suck with experience). After dropping off our stuff in PNR, and refueling, we continued to Niamey in Niger, our second fuel stop. Alan flew that leg and I navigated without the GPS, but using DR and the Lagos VOR plus knowledge gained from plotting (see http://internationalflyerz.co.za//index.php/topic,3618.msg22202.html#new). We arrived at Niamey in a dust storm but Alan did a fine job of landing (after not having flown the 727 for a while). There was a bit of a F*ck around at Niamey. They were very interested in US$ so they charged us one helluva landing fee, handling fee (Chocks!) and I don't know what else so that didn't leave us with much money for fuel. No cards accepted - as is usual in AAAFRIKAA. We filled up as much as we could with the money we had,  and got the hell out of there (2 weeks later there was a coup at the same airport and the president was shot dead).

Now we had to cross the Sahara desert - some 1600nm - and our charts didn't have all the necessary comm frequencies, one being that of Tamarassett. The GPS was still off as well - no signal. We also had a marginal amount of fuel on board and I was on tenterhooks, what if they gave us the runaround at Mallorca?
Alan managed to get the necessary frequencies from a BA  flight (dunno what they thought of us :yikes: ) and we communicated with the correct agencies, lest we be shot down as an unidentified aircraft. The main problem, however,  was the fuel, would we get to Mallorca with the fuel we had on board? Well some divine intervention helped us because halfway across Algeria the GPS came on and I saw our ground speed was well over 500 knots. The approach to Mallorca still worried me, as our charts may not have been complete. Over Algiers, we got handed off to Mallorca control and things changed for the better. We were under radar control and they gave us direct radar vectors to landing, no speed restrictions until FL100. The landing was as sweet as sugar and we had our fuel reserves intact.

We still had a problem because we hadn't had time to get visas for Spain, the whole shebang was too rushed. The immigration guys couldn't speak English and I only knew enough words in Spanish to order a hamburger. With the help of a dictionary though, eventually they allowed us in the country, and gave us a week or so. That was a really cool Spaniard because these days they would lock you up without batting an eyelid. If I ever meet that guy again in my life I will buy him as many beers as he can drink and he can stay on my farm as long as he wants!

So we had a great stay in Palma Mallorca for a week, and I went on to England to stop over in my adopted home town with friends before returning to S.A.

For those who don't know Alan Lewis, he was a most capable pilot, and was killed when his civilian plane was shot down by a missile over Ethiopia on August 29, 1999. He had a degree in Russian and was an absolute gentleman. Rest in peace Alan.

Moertoe Pilut
2000 feet Poster
Netherlands

Re: Experience counts

Post by Moertoe Pilut » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:25 am

Great story Raffles! Didn't you guys have an HF radio on that 727?

Raffles
Site Admin
Burkina Faso

Post by Raffles » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:27 am

Yes we did but not much HF comms in that area at that time. BTW we started at 6am in the morning and finished at 10pm that night.

four engine jock
Engine Run Up Poster
Cuba

Experience counts

Post by four engine jock » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:05 am

Cool story !

Propnut
Engine Run Up Poster
South Africa

Post by Propnut » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:06 pm

Thanks Raffles for an entertaining look into what can be done when a little extra is called for.

Still trying to catch the gravy train.

Pine
Engine Run Up Poster
South Africa

Post by Pine » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:33 pm

Great story, Raffles. Thanks for sharing  :thumbs:

avi-addict
Taxying Poster

Post by avi-addict » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:52 am

Gosh Raffles, what a 'dare-devil' story - to me it is!  You guys 'up there' must have guts to be confronted with all kinds of irregularities and try to overcome them. Another story for 'our' book.  :thumbs:

If you can't convince them, confuse them or cast a spell over them.  I'm the witch, then there's the cat and the broom . . .

avi-addict
Taxying Poster

Aviation Tales - This is my story . . . .

Post by avi-addict » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:11 am

Mods, would it be possible to have a separate thread for our aviation stories instead of posting it randomly? 

Above is just a suggested theme/heading.

Another thing is - would you kindly explain abbreviations in brackets after using it - just for the convenience of the reader.

Any more suggestions?  :grin:

PS:  I know that much can be learnt from your stories and you want people/pilots to be noted about it - cant you then just refer to the story thread.  Say for instance you want your story to be 'noted' in the 'Aviation Talk' thread, then you can just make a  detailed reference post to the 'Story Thread'.  Is my English understandable? :-\

Moertoe Pilut
2000 feet Poster
Netherlands

Re: Aviation Tales - This is my story . . . .

Post by Moertoe Pilut » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:12 pm

You want me to put all the stories under this thread?

Raffles
Site Admin
Burkina Faso

Post by Raffles » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:51 pm

[quote="avi-addict"]
Gosh Raffles, what a 'dare-devil' story - to me it is!  You guys 'up there' must have guts to be confronted with all kinds of irregularities and try to overcome them. Another story for 'our' book.  :thumbs:
[/quote]

I have some more stories, will tell them as time goes on.