Original South African "pilot".

Discuss aviation related topics, rumors and gossip here. Leave News for the "Aviation News" section.
Propnut
Engine Run Up Poster
South Africa

Original South African "pilot".

Post by Propnut » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:26 pm

In a communication I received from the Chairman of the SAAFA Durban Branch, there was an attachment. Reading the attachment made me realise that "a boer maak a plan" has taken on a significant new meaning. For your information I will repeat the letter below.
Dear Fellow Aviators; Enthusiasts,

I wonder if we, here in the Midlands, realize how fortunate we are in sharing one of Aviation’s greatest feats, ever to take place on the African continent and happening right here on our doorstep?

John Goodman Houshold became the first ever “flyer” to dare overcoming the Earth’s gravity, by flying his Home-built glider, on the farm De’Machtenberg, here in Karkloof. This all happened between 1871 –1875, a full 32 yrs before the Wright brothers did their thing at Kitty Hawk!

I believe, justice and honour has been sadly lacking in recognizing this aviation pioneer. During 1995 a Memorial stone was erected on the farm in the Karkloof and the left to deteriorate . In 2015, SAAFA and SAPPI restored this memorial in order to remind all aviators in SA, that this was the Birthplace of flying in our Country, thus Aviation Heritage.

The Memorial needs continual attention and maintenance, thus, I believe that a Body of Aviation enthusiasts could be the answer to revamp and improve this Heritage site. Placing the Memorial on the “map”, should draw aviators and visitors to the Midlands (Howick/ Karkloof).

In the planning, we envisage Monthly or bi-monthly luncheons (frosties incl), a guest speaker on Aviation related subjects --- adding to this a bi-annual function for Fund raising (many ideas to be tabled).

Please forward this e-mail to your aviators, address list, as we need to establish the scale of supporters keen to be part of the “Association”.

REPLY WITH: Name / e-mail address and contacts to: aranco44 @gmail.com / 082 651 6996 / (033) 239-5671
Thank you for your attention.
Arnold (Ari) de Klerk OSAAFA-G
Snr.Capt. B-747 ret.
Past President SAAFA / Country Vice President KZN
Founder HCSA (Harvard Club SA)

Bell 407
Site Admin
South Africa

Re: Original South African "pilot".

Post by Bell 407 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:41 pm

Seriously, this I did not know. Thanks for the post indeed :champion:

Propnut