10 settings in Windows 10 you should disable

Avoid being caught by internet scams. If you know of a scam, post it here.
Raffles
Site Admin
Burkina Faso

10 settings in Windows 10 you should disable

Post by Raffles » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:08 am

If you have installed Windows 10, there are a few default privacy settings you’ll want to change.
By Jan Vermeulen - July 21, 2016 MyBroadBand

Microsoft is pushing its free upgrade to Windows 10 more aggressively, which means more people are booting up the new operating system for the first time.

If you are a Windows 10 user, you may be aware of the concerns people have raised regarding Windows 10’s default privacy settings.

By default, Windows 10 will send speech, typing, and inking input along with your contacts and calendar details to Microsoft.

It will also create an “advertising ID” for you to allow for better targeted ads from third parties.

Those on capped broadband accounts take note: Windows 10 will use your connection to help distribute updates to other Windows 10 users.

Instructions on how to disable many of these settings are summarised.....

Read more at MyBroadBand

Bell 407
Site Admin
South Africa

Re: 10 settings in Windows 10 you should disable

Post by Bell 407 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:57 am

Thanks Raffles, that's a good read together with your other post :thumbsup1:

Raffles
Site Admin
Burkina Faso

Post by Raffles » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:02 pm

I bought a laptop in January which came with Win 10 and i didn't have time to roll back so I have had to employ all the the anti-spyware tactics I can lay my hands on.

Propnut
Engine Run Up Poster
South Africa

Post by Propnut » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:02 am

I allowed the automatic upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and have not experienced any problems at all with any of the programs that I run on my PC. It must be noted that I use AVG Internet Security for anti-virus protection, Open Office in place of Microsoft Office, Mozilla Firefox as my browser and Mozilla Thunderbird for my e-mail. My O/S upgrades are set for being done automatically.

I do have one concern though after reading about the next imminent major release/upgrade of Windows 10 by Microsoft. The "free" upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 has now been discontinued. While reading through another forum recently I picked up that you are able to make a rescue disk for Windows 10, should you need to ever recover your operating system and rebuild the data from your backup disk. I thought of making a recovery disk using a 16GB memory stick in a USB port as this is an option offered on Windows 10. Despite selecting the USB memory stick option the only devices available for rescue recovery were my hard drives, and that was not an option for me.

This leaves a snag as should my current Windows 10 expire with a smell of burning rubber I am able to only rebuild my PC using the original Windows 7 disk. The only option currently available to get my system back onto Windows 10 is to purchase a new Windows 10 product, and going by the prices I have seen they are not cheap. So I look forward to the next major upgrade and till then I will keep winding my rubber band.

Bell 407
Site Admin
South Africa

Post by Bell 407 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:22 am

Propies, can you not let Win10 make the backup to your hard-drive and then copy that to your USB for safe keeping?

Raffles
Site Admin
Burkina Faso

Post by Raffles » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:30 pm

You can use AOMEI Backupper free edition to make a clone of your hard disk.
In other words it backs up everything. You would just need an external hard drive of sufficient size.
I used it to back up my laptop before I petitioned the hard drive.
They do not bombard you with spam. There is also a professional edition.

http://www.aomeitech.com/

Moertoe Pilut
2000 feet Poster
United Arab Emirates

Post by Moertoe Pilut » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:11 pm

Making things simpler, you could just get a Mac :bingo:

Bell 407
Site Admin
South Africa

Post by Bell 407 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:19 pm

Moertoe Pilut wrote:Making things simpler, you could just get a Mac :bingo:

:whip:

Raffles
Site Admin
Burkina Faso

Post by Raffles » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:07 am

Bell 407 wrote:
Moertoe Pilut wrote:Making things simpler, you could just get a Mac :bingo:

:whip:

I agree with Bell407 :whip:

But you will be happy to know I bought Rafflette a iPhone and a Mac Book Air 13", however they are double the price of Crapbooks. :yikes:
I paid nearly $1000 and the Mac Book only had a 128GB hard drive :crybaby:
And that in the USA, I would hate to see the price in S.A. :shrug1:

Propnut
Engine Run Up Poster
South Africa

Post by Propnut » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:52 am

Okay answers one by one.

Bell407 - I do backup by drives (I have three) so that is not an issue.

Raffles - At one stage I did consider the clone route, but opted for the backup procedure instead.

Moertoe - MAC is just not an option. You know the story, once a Boeing pilut always a Boeing pilut.

Let me explain the scenario a little clearer. I am not the person that walks in a shop and buys a PC ready to run. All my PC's over the years are hand built to my own specifications. It is for this reason that I always have started with a Windows OEM disk. All programs that I run are individually loaded into the PC in a specific order. By doing this I end up with a PC that starts up and runs faster than an off the shelf version. That being said you may now understand why not having a Windows10 OEM disk due to the automatic upgrade from Win7 to Win10 by Microsoft has proved problematic.

Unless I can create a Win10 Recovery Disk, preferably using a memory stick that boots from a USB port, I will be forced to end up buying Windows 10 O/S that now by the way comes on a memory stick. I am very happy with the performance of the Win10 on my PC, it is me looking ahead to my next rebuild when these current components reach their sell by date.

The only MAC that I know is MAQ dish washing liquid, which by the way puts Sunlight dish washing liquid into the dust lasting longer, cleaning better and more importantly a lot cheaper. Now that is a MAQ that I will use gladly. :clap: :clap:

Bell 407
Site Admin
South Africa

Post by Bell 407 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:15 am

Propies, just as a matter of interest, what order do you upload your programmes in and what programmes are they?

Moertoe Pilut
2000 feet Poster
United Arab Emirates

Post by Moertoe Pilut » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:47 am

I guess it's just a matter what you're willing to put up with. I walked away from MS 6 years ago and I'm not looking back.

When you back up your win machine (without the use of external or other software), what does it back up? Everything (pictures, emails etc) or just programs?

Propnut
Engine Run Up Poster
South Africa

Post by Propnut » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:23 am

Bell 407 wrote:Propies, just as a matter of interest, what order do you upload your programmes in and what programmes are they?

I always start with a blank, formatted disk and start loading the operating system and any disks that came with the hardware associated with the PC such as DVD and printers. Once up and running I install CCleaner and Defraggler from Piriform. Using these two programs several times, until the system registery is clear and the PC starts fast and the operating system is optimized on the disk. At this point the PC is not yet connected to the internet. After that it is the loading and installing of the Anti-Virus program, my preference being AVG Internet Security. When any program is loaded and installed, before the next one is loaded the Piriform products are used extensively, resulting in many shut downs and re-boots. My final pre-internet install is Open Office. The programs from Piriform perform their magic and once I am satisfied with a quick and stable platform I connect to the internet for the first time. This is done to allow the ant-virus to update its database, register the operating system and any other programs that require updating.

From Mozilla I download and install the latest version of Firefox and make that my default browser. At this point in time you can load any business/gaming programs just remembering that cleanups of the drive and registery must be done after each program is installed. :tmi:

Propnut
Engine Run Up Poster
South Africa

Post by Propnut » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:40 am

Moertoe Pilut wrote:When you back up your win machine (without the use of external or other software), what does it back up? Everything (pictures, emails etc) or just programs?

In principal it backs up the operating system (if requested) and what you specify, excluding the registry. While working I tried (twice) to back up a PC, then restore it using the standard backup and restore procedure. To say I was 100% happy would be a lie. Since then I have always kept my data on a separate hard drive from the operating system. This allows a easy match when re-installing a PC after a system hard drive failure. To me the link between the Registry and the programs loaded are vital to the performance of the software. I may be old fashioned but I prefer a fresh O/S installation and later just link your software programs to their respective data elements.

On my own PC the Backup to another hard drive includes those things you mentioned, such as pictures, music, video but not e-mail. My data from the other drive is also backed up using the standard backup. My Registery is backed up separately using CCleaner. If you are using say Outlook then you need to export your mail to an area on your backup drive. With an internet based e-mail such as Gmail for me it is not an issue to backup.

Bell 407
Site Admin
South Africa

Post by Bell 407 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:56 am

Thanks Propies, I also use CCleaner to clean up the registry from time to time. Have never used their Defraggler. Is it good?

Moertoe Pilut
2000 feet Poster
United Arab Emirates

Post by Moertoe Pilut » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:03 pm

I guess Mac isn't too bad then? Time machine backs up and restores everything, and when I say everything, I mean everything.