Monday's "Burner"

Post your grappies/jokes here. Both Afrikaans and English.
Gooneybird
Engine Run Up Poster
South Africa

Monday's "Burner"

Post by Gooneybird » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:25 am

Manure... An interesting fact

Manure : In the 16th and 17th centuries, everything had to be transported by ship and it was also before the invention of commercial fertilizers, so large shipments of manure were quite common.

It was shipped dry, because in dry form it weighed a l ot less than when wet, but once water (at sea) hit it, not only did it become heavier, but the process of fermentation began again, of which a by product is methane gas of course.

As the stuff was stored below decks in bundles you can see what could (and did) happen. Methane began to build up below decks and the first time someone came below at night with a lantern, BOOM!

Several ships were destroyed in this manner before it was determined just what was happening !

After that, the bundles of manure were always stamped with the instruction ' Stow high in transit ' on them, which meant for the sailors to stow it high enough off the lower decks so that any water that came into the hold would not touch this volatile cargo and start the production of methane.

Thus evolved the term ' S.H.I.T ', :yikes: (Stow High In Transit) which has come down through the centuries and is in use to this very day.

You probably did not know the true history of this word. Neither did I. I had always thought it was a golf term.

:fantastic: :yeeha: :thumbsup1:

Bell 407
Site Admin
South Africa

Monday's

Post by Bell 407 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:58 pm

Gooney, thank you for the history lesson. I feel empowered that I can now use the word manure without fear or favour or worrying when the manure Hits The Fan :dance:

Kompos
Engine Run Up Poster
France

Re: Monday's "Burner"

Post by Kompos » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:13 pm

Gooney you are the best!

Raffles
Site Admin
Burkina Faso

Re: Monday's "Burner"

Post by Raffles » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:25 am

:pml: :pml: :pml: