SABC wants you to pay a TV licence for your computer, cellphone and tablet

Post your grappies/jokes here. Both Afrikaans and English.
Bell 407
Site Admin
South Africa

Post by Bell 407 » Wed May 10, 2017 1:36 pm

I put this in the Grapgat section because I really did have a good laugh :haha: :haha: :haha:

Cape Town – SABC CEO James Aguma shocked on Wednesday by telling parliament the SABC wants the Broadcasting Act changed to include more viewing devices so that more people need a SABC TV licence, for instance for computers, cellphones and tablets.

Aguma, SABC executives and the SABC’s new interim board appeared before parliament’s portfolio committee on communications to brief members of parliament about the latest situation at the crisis-riddled public broadcaster and its revised corporate plan.

He said the SABC is budgeting for lower revenue from SABC TV licences this year, but that the SABC wants to see changes made to the Broadcasting Act to make it mandatory for people to pay a TV licence for more devices they view content on.

Currently people are required to pay a TV licence for a device that can receive a TV signal. As video-on-demand (VOD), digital broadcasting and video content channeled through other device however grows, millions more South Africans are watching TV content on computers, laptops, cellphones, tablets and other devices.

Aguma told parliament that if the Broadcasting Act is changed, it would broaden the collection base for SABC TV licences which in turn would help to increase the potential revenue the public broadcaster could collect from this income stream.

Channel24

great dane
1000 feet Poster
Denmark

Re: SABC wants you to pay a TV licence for your computer, cellphone and tablet

Post by great dane » Wed May 10, 2017 1:54 pm

That has been the case in Denmark for years :gooneybird:

If you have access to the public service channels via either TV, radio or internet you have to pay (so yes pretty much everyone has to pay). They did update the name from radio licence to media licence though :cent:

Bell 407
Site Admin
South Africa

Post by Bell 407 » Wed May 10, 2017 2:09 pm

Yes, that will work in Denmark, a 1st World operating country. But here in SA I'm afraid it's just another money making scheme to fill the coffers.

As they say, they will have declining revenue this year but I don't think that is because of On-demand media growing. I think it's just because people are gatvol for paying for useless service like the SABC :green:

great dane
1000 feet Poster
Denmark

Post by great dane » Wed May 10, 2017 2:52 pm

Bell 407 wrote:... here in SA I'm afraid it's just another money making scheme to fill the coffers.

I think it's just because people are gatvol for paying for useless service like the SABC :green:

And that is the problem :good:

E-toll, TV-licence and increased tax revenue are all good initiatives IMHO, if only they would be used as announced :peekaboo:

Moertoe Pilut
2000 feet Poster
Netherlands

Post by Moertoe Pilut » Wed May 10, 2017 5:38 pm

SABC's James Aguma can suck my dick! I'm not farking paying these leeches another dime!