The return of Propnut

Our braai area. The place were we all stand around the fire and talk.
Propnut
Engine Run Up Poster
South Africa

The return of Propnut

Post by Propnut » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:10 pm

Hi all. Been missing for the last five weeks, not locked up, not on a drunken binge, just chilling. In reality the wife and I were up on the plot in Mnandi, Centurion, visiting the grandchildren. What a different life to the city rush some of us live in. There was an altercation between the father and the son. The son used 250GB of data over two days. As punishment the dad refused to get any more data for the balance of the month. So for 28 days we had no wi-fi and only Open View TV to look at. Technology took a back seat.

That gave us more time to re-connect with all the animals on the plot while passing the day under a tree in a hamock listening to the birds. While Durban drowned in gale force wings and buckets of rain we all suffered with the lack of rain and excessive heat.

Now this afternoon we are back in Durban and the big clean-up starts. The washing basket is overflowing.

Bell 407
Site Admin
South Africa

Re: The return of Propnut

Post by Bell 407 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:30 pm

Good to hear from you again Proppies and glad all good :good:

Yip, 'tis all about data these days - can't seem to do a damn thing without it :running:

Raffles
Site Admin
Burkina Faso

Post by Raffles » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:49 pm

Welcome back Propnut! you need one of those uncapped services, but I guess there are no landlines on the plot.

Internet and data among the biggest ripoffs in S.A.

Propnut
Engine Run Up Poster
South Africa

Post by Propnut » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:25 am

No copper in the area at all - all stolen. My son-in-law has an 10MB LTE router and runs a wi-fi network. The trouble with a reasonably good system is that all your equipment that connects to it "sees" the connection as fast, so it adjusts programs like You Tube to display at full HD resolution which just sucks in bandwidth. My grandson was looking for games he wanted for his 12th birthday on the 19th September, one of our reasons for the visit, and went through all the trailers on You Tube.

So some adjustment was required on the fathers part and after such a wild time on the data train, having the balance of the month without data left him in a serious state of withdrawl.