OR Tambo Airport Security Warning

A section for the latest news in aviation.
happyskipper
Taxying Poster
Mozambique

OR Tambo Airport Security Warning

Postby happyskipper » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:26 pm

I don't know if this has been shared before, but I booked my annual holiday flight home to SA from Mozambique, and received the following warning:

The U.S. Embassy advises U.S. citizens to exercise caution when arranging ground transportation from OR Tambo International Airport in Johannesburg to hotels, guest houses, and residences. Numerous U.S. citizens and other travelers have been robbed at gun point while traveling from OR Tambo International Airport to their place of lodging in what are known as “follow home” robberies. In some instances, U.S. citizens have been injured or shot at during these robberies.

Read more Here

Bell 407
Site Admin
South Africa

Re: OR Tambo Airport Security Warning

Postby Bell 407 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:56 pm

Well, at least you know what to expect before you get here :good:

Propnut
Engine Run Up Poster
South Africa

Postby Propnut » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:19 am

Welcome to Tombstone Gulch, er, sorry, ORT.

The only difference between the USA citizens and the RSA citizens, is the USA citizens are used to the Colt .45 while here in the RSA we are used to the AK-47.

Moertoe Pilut
2000 feet Poster
Netherlands

Postby Moertoe Pilut » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:36 pm

Embarrassing.... A country that is known for crime and corruption, yet nothing get's done to fix it. They rather protect their own little mafia clan, keep the poor uneducated and blame it all on apartheid whilst having worse policies then the apartheid government. Yet the world sits back and accepts that behavior. Hypocrisy at its best.

Raffles
Site Admin
Burkina Faso

Postby Raffles » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:07 pm

At least the law in the USA allows you defend yourself and your property. In SA, the criminal has more rights than the man on the street. In the USA for instance if you shoot a robber inside your house, armed or not, you are within your rights. In SA our corrupt and inept bunch has decided that you must still prove that the robber was about to kill you, like he had to be pointing a cocked firearm at you before you would be justified in defending yourself. BUT break into a cANCer MP's house and I bet you will die of lead poisoning very quickly and no questions asked.

happyskipper
Taxying Poster
Mozambique

Postby happyskipper » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:38 pm

Not really correct, Raffles old chap. Having been in that uncomfortable situation, I do know what I am talking about.
The wording is that you must "... believe that your life was in immediate danger".

Now, the law is unable to know definitively what you believed, or thought at the time... so they revert to the "Reasonable Man" in order to judge whether the shooting is legal or not. Now, to my mind, it is perfectly reasonable for anyone who comes across a strange person in his/her home, that that person intends harming them. Case closed Joe Anna...

Raffles
Site Admin
Burkina Faso

Postby Raffles » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:23 pm

Ja well no fine the "cops" are pretty quick to lock people up who were obviously in that situation, even if they release them at a later stage due to the "reasonable man" defence.

happyskipper
Taxying Poster
Mozambique

Postby happyskipper » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:52 pm

I know of no case where a person was arrested after a legal shooting. Don't believe the press..... They are in the business of selling news, and headlines that say "Home owner shot criminal dead, SAPS took his statement and released him until the Inquest" don't sell newspapers....

Often the press incorrectly make the statement that the shooter was "arrested on a charge of murder". That is stretching the truth somewhat. After any death by unnatural causes a docket has to be opened in order for detectives to investigate the circumstances surrounding the case, and to determine whether the death was wrongfully caused or not. Most often a Murder docket is opened, sometimes a manslaughter case, and sometimes it is simply an inquest docket - as occurred in my case, due to my statement being pretty much cut and dried. The docket is investigated and the detective in charge will recommend to the state prosecutor whether or not a charge needs to be laid, and arrests made.... The prosecutor normally declines to prosecute, and the docket is closed....

In the meantime, the press and social media has a field day......

Return to “In The News”