Burkina Faso / West Africa regional news

For those living and working abroad,
Raffles
Site Admin
Burkina Faso

Burkina Faso / West Africa regional news

Postby Raffles » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:02 pm

I am starting this thread and will probably move some of the content from the old thread to give new readers a perspective.

johntrekker
Engine Run Up Poster

Re: Burkina Faso

Postby johntrekker » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:23 pm

Die kakplaas, which version?

great dane
1000 feet Poster
Denmark

Postby great dane » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:36 pm

Bring it on :cool1:

Raffles
Site Admin
Burkina Faso

Postby Raffles » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:31 pm

From since the Al Queda attacks

Feb 7

On the downside... Recent Al Qaeda kidnapping in Burkina Faso

Raffles
Site Admin
Burkina Faso

Postby Raffles » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:45 pm

From Feb 21

Some political news from Ouaga

Ivory Coast Extradites 3 Coup Suspects to Burkina Faso

OUAGADOUGOU, Burkina Faso (AP) — Ivory Coast has extradited three former members of an elite military unit that staged a brief, failed coup last September, a Burkina Faso official said Sunday.

The three suspects arrived in Ouagadougou on Saturday evening, said Col. Sita Sangare, a military prosecutor. They became the target of international arrest warrants after they fled to Ivory Coast when the coup failed and Burkina Faso's transitional government was restored. Among them is a former master sergeant, Moussa Nebie, known in Burkina Faso as "Rambo."

In addition to the September coup, the three men are suspected of involvement in a raid last month on an armory outside the capital.....

Raffles
Site Admin
Burkina Faso

Postby Raffles » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:50 pm

Today's news, might ease tensions a bit.

Burkina Faso court throws out ex-president arrest warrant

OUAGADOUGOU, Burkina Faso – An appeals court in Burkina Faso has thrown out an international arrest warrant for former President Blaise Compaore.

Last year, a military tribunal issued the warrant against Compaore, who was forced to resign in late 2014 amid a popular insurrection after nearly three decades in power.

Compaore faced assassination charges in connection with the killing of revolutionary president Thomas Sankara during a coup in 1987.

However, Compaore had become a citizen of Ivory Coast, a move critics said blocked him from facing extradition.

The Burkina Faso court of appeal announced Thursday the warrant was being annulled because of procedural errors.

Also on Thursday, an arrest warrant for Ivorian politician Guillaume Soro was set aside. Soro had been accused of playing a role in a foiled coup last September.

Retrieved from Fox News

Raffles
Site Admin
Burkina Faso

Postby Raffles » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:32 am

Bluddy heck, those who know me know that I have found a pizzeria in nearly every town I have lived in called La Dolce Vita!

Which in English means The Sweet Life.

Always been my favorite hang out for beer/pizza. :beer: :beer: :beer: (need a pizza smiley)

After being in Ouaga for four months, what do I find just 200 meters from my house?

Well I'll be darned. The fuddy ruckers in the opposite direction to my usual route.

Raffles
Site Admin
Burkina Faso

Postby Raffles » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:55 am

"Ouaga Beach" you have to look on your favorite satellite scenery viewer for the "Barrages", the nearest thing to a water activity in the town.

Not even 2km from my house.

I got the gist that it was closed for a while but apparently will re-open one of these fine days.

Yes that is Rafflette to the left of the picture.

Bell 407
Site Admin
South Africa

Postby Bell 407 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:00 am

Nice stuff Raffles. Good to hear about the pizza joint. But a picture of the actual pizza will be proof of its quality :thinking:

Raffles
Site Admin
Burkina Faso

Postby Raffles » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:41 pm

You get the food first, then if you can attract their attention, you get the tools. :burner: :burner: :burner:

Reservation not necessary. :biggrin:

Compare a pizza from another joint nearby :bash:

happyskipper
Taxying Poster
Mozambique

Postby happyskipper » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:27 pm

These are the only "tools" you need to eat Pizza :fantastic:

87Juliet
1000 feet Poster
South Africa

Postby 87Juliet » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:57 pm

FFS! Now did I really have to see these pizza pictures during the feast of unleavened bread?!?!? That's just nasty....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Vorsprung! Zer0-Eight-Two_Niner_Fower_wun-7-Zero-Ate-Too

Moertoe Pilut
2000 feet Poster
Netherlands

Postby Moertoe Pilut » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:57 pm

What feast now? The pizza at the Dolce Vita definitely looks better Ralph, don't know about the taste though. Me, I only eat Domino's. :bingo:

Raffles
Site Admin
Burkina Faso

Postby Raffles » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:27 pm

Funny thing, every time I order the same pizza, it is different :stars:

I have one on order right now, they gonna bring it to my house. (It's only about 200 yards away).

Moertoe Pilut
2000 feet Poster
Netherlands

Postby Moertoe Pilut » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:44 pm

Raffles wrote:Funny thing, every time I order the same pizza, it is different :stars:
Sounds like the Ivotel in Abidjan, it all depended who was on duty in the kitchen :bingo:

Raffles
Site Admin
Burkina Faso

Postby Raffles » Sun May 01, 2016 1:08 am

Moertoe Pilut wrote:
Raffles wrote:Funny thing, every time I order the same pizza, it is different :stars:
Sounds like the Ivotel in Abidjan, it all depended who was on duty in the kitchen :bingo:

Talking about the Ivotel, I see that someone gave me a thumbs up for my review on Tripadvisor :bingo:

Raffles
Site Admin
Burkina Faso

Postby Raffles » Fri May 20, 2016 11:15 pm

Some regional news
Ivory Coast: Africa's cashew nuts champions
8 hours ago

Ivory Coast, the world's biggest cocoa exporter has just overtaken India to become the world's biggest exporter of cashew nuts, too.
President Alassane Ouattara has an even bigger vision - to have 100% of the nuts processed inside the country by 2020, which would mean more jobs and money flowing into the economy.
The BBC's Tamasin Ford reports from Bouake in central Ivory Coast for Africa Business Report.

BBC Business - click for video

Les Nessman
Engine Run Up Poster
Wallis and Futuna Islands

I. Coast rights groups say ex-first lady's trial flawed

Postby Les Nessman » Tue May 31, 2016 4:23 pm

Abidjan (AFP) - Ivorian rights groups acting as plaintiffs in the imminent trial of former first lady Simone Gbagbo for crimes against humanity pulled out of the process Monday, saying it was flawed.

The wife of former president Laurent Gbagbo goes on trial Tuesday to answer allegations of crimes against prisoners of war, crimes against the civilian population as well as crimes against humanity, during the west African country's post-electoral violence in 2010 that killed more than 3,000 people.

But in a joint statement the International Federation of Human Rights, the Ivorian League of Human Rights and the Ivorian Movement for Human Rights, claiming to represent nearly 250 victims, said they were "pulling out of the process."

"Our lawyers have not had access to all stages of the procedures, how can they defend their case?" the head of the Ivorian League of Human Rights told AFP.

The trial lacks "relevance," Pierre Kouame Adjoumani said.

Simone Gbagbo, nicknamed the "Iron Lady", "is accused of 'crimes against humanity', something she could have only done through an organised group, so why is only she being judged?" he said.

The 66-year-old is currently being held in Ivory Coast's main city Abidjan after being convicted of "attacking state authority" during the bloody post-poll era when her husband refused to cede power despite losing elections.

Her husband is currently on trial at the International Criminal Court at The Hague for crimes also linked to the unrest.

Tuesday's trial comes just five days after Ivory Coast's Supreme Court rejected Simone Gbagbo's final appeal against her 20-year sentence.

Ivory Coast, the world's top cocoa producer, has struggled to return to normalcy after years of civil war, which effectively divided the country between the mainly Christian south and the largely Muslim north.

Retrieved from Yahoo - AFP

Les Nessman
Engine Run Up Poster
Wallis and Futuna Islands

Burkina Faso provisionally frees ex-ruling party head

Postby Les Nessman » Tue May 31, 2016 4:25 pm

OUAGADOUGOU, Burkina Faso – A military tribunal in Burkina Faso says it has provisionally released the chairman of the country's former ruling party pending further investigations into a short-lived September coup.

Military tribunal director Col. Sita Sangare said Eddie Komboigo was provisionally released Monday from a military prison in Ouagadougou, the capital. Komboigo was arrested in January on accusations of being involved in the coup staged by security guards for former President Blaise Compaore against the transition government before elections.

Sangare said Komboigo still faces charges, and others accused remain in prison as investigations continue.

Compaore stepped down in October 2014 after 27-years in office because of a popular uprising.

Roch Marc Christian Kabore was elected president in November, and has promised a fair trial for those involved in the coup.

Retrieved from Fox News

Moertoe Pilut
2000 feet Poster
Netherlands

Re: Burkina Faso provisionally frees ex-ruling party head

Postby Moertoe Pilut » Tue May 31, 2016 8:01 pm

Les Nessman wrote:Roch Marc Christian Kabore was elected president in November, and has promised a fair trial for those involved in the coup.
Oh yes, I sure believe that :rip2:

Return to “Expats”