Pilots arrested on suspicion of being too drunk to take Glasgow-Toronto flight

The place to discuss Flight Safety, SMS structures, ERP etc.
avi-addict
Taxying Poster

Post by avi-addict » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:25 am

Two pilots have been arrested on suspicion of being under the influence of alcohol as they prepared to fly a transatlantic passenger jet from Scotland to Canada.

Staff are understood to have raised concerns about the pilots’ behaviour before the Air Transat A310, carrying up to 250 passengers on board, was due to depart from Glasgow on Monday afternoon bound for Toronto.

Officers arrested the men, aged 37 and 39, on suspicion of being “impaired through alcohol” before they were due to take off at 1pm.

Police Scotland said the pair will appear in custody at Paisley sheriff court later.

A spokeswoman said: “Police Scotland can confirm that two men aged 39 and 37 years have been arrested in relation to being allegedly impaired through alcohol under the Railway and Transport Safety Act 2003 (Section 93).”

The Canadian airline confirmed the arrest of its employees, adding that the flight had been rescheduled and the passengers put up in hotels.

A spokesman said: “Air Transat has learned of the arrest on July 18 of two crew members assigned to its Glasgow-Toronto flight.

“We will await the results of the investigation and judicial proceedings before commenting on the matter before making any further comments. The safety of our crews and passengers is, and will remain, a top priority at Air Transat.”

Some passengers voiced their anger over an apparent lack of an official explanation of the delay.

Toronto resident Nick Davis tweeted that he had been “Ignored all day by airtransat”, while another Twitter user said: “TS725 22 hr delay. Thinking the op issue was more of a staff issue, police involved, why? Answers plz airtransat.”

Apologising for the delay to Sean Brown, who had been on holiday in Scotland from Ontario, the airline tweeted “for operational reasons we have no choice”.

A rescheduled flight is expected to depart on Tuesday.

The Guardian

Bell 407
Site Admin
South Africa

Re: Pilots arrested on suspicion of being too drunk to take Glasgow-Toronto flight

Post by Bell 407 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:29 am

:beer: :beer2: :beer3:

Moertoe Pilut
2000 feet Poster
United Arab Emirates

Re: Pilots arrested on suspicion of being too drunk to take Glasgow-Toronto flight

Post by Moertoe Pilut » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:25 pm

How can you arrest someone on the "suspicion" of being intoxicated, you either are or not.

avi-addict
Taxying Poster

Post by avi-addict » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:08 pm

Moertoe Pilut wrote:How can you arrest someone on the "suspicion" of being intoxicated, you either are or not.

"Staff are understood to have raised concerns about the pilots’ behaviour before the Air Transat A310, carrying up to 250 passengers on board, was due to depart from Glasgow on Monday afternoon bound for Toronto."

Sure there had been witnesses with damning facts/proof.....??....perhaps their breaths gave them away.

Raffles
Site Admin
Burkina Faso

Post by Raffles » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:14 am

There are two different offenses
1. Being intoxicated....this is when someone has had enough alcohol to impair their ability and judgement, and can be convicted on evidence of behavior (such as staggering, slurring speech and was seen drinking, smells of alcohol etc)
2. Exceeding the legal blood-alcohol limit... this has to be proven by a blood or urine test or Breathalyzer and usually follows when someone arrested for the above, or during routine and random tests.

Propnut
Engine Run Up Poster
South Africa

Post by Propnut » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:17 am

Spot on Raffles.

Moertoe Pilut
2000 feet Poster
United Arab Emirates

Post by Moertoe Pilut » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:43 pm

Raffles wrote:2. Exceeding the legal blood-alcohol limit... this has to be proven by a blood or urine test or Breathalyzer.
They tried that with me years ago in Amman, Jordan by giving me a breathalyser (which showed 0,00000) and than did a urine test were they found me over the limit. I took it further since they accused me of being over the limit (with not an alcoholic beverage the night before) and went to my GP. He told me and wrote it in a testimony that a urine sample can not determine whether you are over a legal preset value or not. So a urine test is just null and void.