Remotely controlled airport tower uses cameras, distant staff in technological first

A section specially for our ATCO's. A chance for pilots to interact and discuss issues with our Big Brother of the skies.
Richard Cranium
Engine Run Up Poster

Remotely controlled airport tower uses cameras, distant staff in technological first

Post by Richard Cranium » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:56 am

AP
A plane takes off beyond a remotely controlled control tower at Ornskoldsvik Airport in northern Sweden. The dozen commercial planes that land here each day are guided in by controllers using video cameras at an airport 90 miles away.

By The Associated Press
Tuesday, Sept. 15, 2015, 12:01 a.m.
Updated 4 hours ago

NEW YORK — Passengers landing at remote Ornskoldsvik Airport in northern Sweden might catch a glimpse of the control tower — likely unaware there is no one inside.
The dozen commercial planes landing there each day are instead watched by cameras, guided in by controllers viewing the video at another airport 90 miles away.
Ornskoldsvik is the first airport in the world to use such technology. Others in Europe are testing the idea, as is one airport in the United States. While the majority of the world's airports will, for some time, still have controllers on site, experts say unmanned towers are on the way. They'll likely first go into use at small and medium airports, but eventually even the world's largest airports could have an array of cameras mounted on a pole replacing their concrete control towers.

Read further here

Joeatc
Engine Run Up Poster
Argentina

Re: Remotely controlled airport tower uses cameras, distant staff in technological first

Post by Joeatc » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:09 am

How do you see traffic on downwind, on base, on final and at the holding point at the same time? Or if there is a go around which aircraft does the camera track? I don't think you can remove the human element completely.

Moertoe Pilut
2000 feet Poster
Netherlands

Re: Remotely controlled airport tower uses cameras, distant staff in technological first

Post by Moertoe Pilut » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:52 pm

Joeatc wrote:I don't think you can remove the human element completely.
Neither do I but they sure will try just like they will try to fly airplanes without pilots...

Bell 407
Site Admin
South Africa

Post by Bell 407 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:41 pm

Joeatc wrote:I don't think you can remove the human element completely.

One would hope that for some types of jobs, the human element is an essential component and not just there to be factored away when new technology is available.