Helicopter pilot who crashed in central London felt 'pressure' to fly despite bad weather

The place for our "Fling Wing" drivers.
Les Nessman
Engine Run Up Poster
Wallis and Futuna Islands

Helicopter pilot who crashed in central London felt 'pressure' to fly despite bad weather

Postby Les Nessman » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:41 pm

A helicopter pilot who crashed in central London felt under pressure to go ahead with the flight despite bad weather because of his A-list clients, an inquest has heard.

Captain Peter Barnes’s aircraft clipped the crane on top of a skyscraper in fog before crashing to the ground, killing him and a man on his way to work and injuring 12 others.

His widow, testifying three years after the event, said her husband was a “very experienced” pilot and was not looking forward to the flight because of the poor weather forecast.

Mr Barnes, 50, has exchanged text messages with a cousin of the Queen, Marquess of Milford Haven, minutes before the flight, discussing the bad weather. He said: “I’m coming anyway. Will land in a field if I have to.”

An inquest on Tuesday heard that Mr Barnes, who had 24 years of flying experience, died from multiple injuries after the helicopter crashed in Vauxhall on the morning of Jan 16, 2013.

Full story at the Telegraph

Bell 407
Site Admin
South Africa

Re: Helicopter pilot who crashed in central London felt 'pressure' to fly despite bad weather

Postby Bell 407 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:47 am

Pressure, pressure, pressure. Not good indeed if that was the case.

Raffles
Site Admin
Burkina Faso

Re: Helicopter pilot who crashed in central London felt 'pressure' to fly despite bad weather

Postby Raffles » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:57 pm

I know all about it. Companies putting pressure on pilots.

Return to “Rotor Section”