Airlink ORT to PMB return (Inbound Leg)

Have an interesting trip report or tour of an aircraft you have done, then share it here.
Bell 407
Site Admin
South Africa

Airlink ORT to PMB return (Inbound Leg)

Post by Bell 407 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:05 pm

Finishing up with family business early on Friday resulted in a change of plan for the Inbound Leg to ORT. Original schedule was for the 18:25 departure but managed to get that changed to the 17:00 departure. However, that was delayed until 17:10 due to our trusty steed ZS-SSH arriving late from ORT.

Here is ZS-SSH on stand at PMB in the late afternoon sun :heart:

Inbound leg flight was rather full but managed to learn the lesson from the mornings flight and got a window seat in Row 8 just behind the hairdryers :haha:

Bell 407
Site Admin
South Africa

Re: Airlink ORT to PMB return (Inbound Leg)

Post by Bell 407 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:11 pm

Departure was also off Rwy 16 at PMB with a left hand turn for ORT.

Again, painstakingly boring return flight without so much as a bump of turbulence. Here a few pictures of some scenery even though the light was fading.

Albert Falls Dam

Having undertaken the STANDERTON Arrival for 03R, the sun had just set in the west as we were turning downwind.

Typical Highveld winter fire.

Bell 407
Site Admin
South Africa

Post by Bell 407 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:14 pm

Enjoyed the landing into ORT as it was nighttime and hadn't done a night flight in a while. Landed 03R at ORT which I must say was incredibly smooth :dance:

Taxi back to the ramp went remarkably quickly and we din't have to hold at 03L for a departure. Arrived on stand 50min after takeoff from PMB and ended a fun day of flying.

Until next time :acknowldge:

Propnut
Engine Run Up Poster
South Africa

Post by Propnut » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:26 am

Well 407 that makes a change in the seat we normally see you snapping photo's from. Still some good shots in poor light conditions.

Bell 407
Site Admin
South Africa

Post by Bell 407 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:54 am

Propnut wrote:Well 407 that makes a change in the seat we normally see you snapping photo's from. Still some good shots in poor light conditions.

You are quite right Proppies. Would still love to be able to fly one of these flights in full from the cockpit :pray: :pray: :pray:

Propnut
Engine Run Up Poster
South Africa

Post by Propnut » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:59 am

In the early to mid-90's I was involved in a project that was rolling out new software in the coastal ports DBN-ELS-PLZ and CPT. This involved many SAA flights between these ports as company policy was that we were restricted to SAA.

I got to know Cpt. Terry Jones who was often the captain on the DBN-CPT flight. If Terry saw me walking to the aircraft he would put up one finger. That meant, am I alone and do I only have my briefcase. If I put up one finger when I got to the top of the steps I turned left instead of right. We both enjoyed many early morning flights together up front of ZS-SID.

Bell 407
Site Admin
South Africa

Post by Bell 407 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:17 pm

Propnut wrote:If Terry saw me walking to the aircraft he would put up one finger. That meant, am I alone and do I only have my briefcase. If I put up one finger when I got to the top of the steps I turned left instead of right.

That is just way too cool a story. Good times in the Olden Golden days. Might give it a try sometime and see what happens :haha: :haha:

Downwind
Engine Starting Poster
Great Britain

Post by Downwind » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:19 pm

:thanx:

Great report, Bell.

great dane
1000 feet Poster
Denmark

Post by great dane » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:49 pm

Superb report :Like:

A full 10 minute delay - they should be ashamed :haha:

A unique view there behind the engines, but rather limited, particularly when on ground :yikes: