MCO-ATL-CDG-OUA on Delta and Air France

Have an interesting trip report or tour of an aircraft you have done, then share it here.
Raffles
Site Admin
Burkina Faso

Postby Raffles » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:18 am

Shortly before leaving the hotel in Orlando, I got a barrage of emails informing moi of changes to the schedule. The e-checkin didn't work. Eventually I didn't know my arse from my elbow so I just turned up at the airport 2 hours before the original departure time. The original route was via JFK but the checkin clerk suggested I change to ATL because of flight delays. I agreed. So, we left MCO for ATL with an assumed transit time of 1h30 on the ground at ATL. The pax in the seat next to me was a young French lady who had the same alteration to her route. She didn't seem to be a seasoned traveler so I told her to follow me when we got to ATL.

We arrived at ATL about 30 minutes late. For an unknown reason, something told me to go directly to the next boarding gate. I told the mademoiselle to follow me as it was on the other side of the airport. I was friggin hungry not having eaten since early morning but something told me keep going. We jumped on the underground shuttle train. Approaching the boarding gate, I heard an announcement final boarding call for our flight arriving at the absolute last minute. The clock on the wall showed 8pm now I don't remember offhand if ATL is in a different time zone to MCO? But flying west with a 1-hour flight and 1-hour time zone difference we should have landed the same time we took off (in local time) which was about 6pm. Anyways the mademoiselle was very thankful as she would have missed the flight had she had to stop and ask directions. So, the good deed done for the day, I was in premium economy and didn't sleep a wink because whoever designed the Air France premium economy seats should be sent to Gulag. They are a bit wider but don't recline. Try sleeping upright I ask you with tears in my eyes. To add to the misery the cabin crew on this flight were very aloof. On arrival at CDG I was a zombie of the highest order so with a 5-hour layover I went to the transit hotel and paid €75 for a cabin to try get some sleep.

I got up at 2.30pm had a shower and left, stopping for a sandwich on the way to the boarding gate (as it seemed we were on spare rations on the last flight). Now the difference at CDG is that even if in transit, there is still a security checkpoint to go through whereas at ATL there wasn't. So after waiting for some time in the security line, the security sent me back to the AF counter because I didn't have a boarding pass (at ATL they issued the boarding pass at the gate). There was a very aloof woman at the AF counter who was quite abrupt and told me that I had been removed from the flight. Then sent me to the back of the line because her duty period was up. Great customer service. When I finally got back to the counter another clerk told me to rush to the boarding gate with the booking document and they would issue the boarding pass at the gate. Now less than 30 mins to off block time I run back to the security checkpoint. THE FUDDY RUCKERS SEND ME BACK TO THE AF COUNTER. This time I was a bit luckier, no wait because an ebony mademoiselle just came on duty. Much more pleasant than the first one. After a conversation on the phone she issued moi with a boarding pass but it was already T - 5 mins to launch and the walking time plus security was about 20 minutes. I ran the entire concourse of CDG with 2 heavy bags folks. Miracles never cease however there was a delay (probably to unload my checked through baggage) and I got a business seat from which I am writing this report. It remains to be seen if my checked through baggage turns up. Baggage fiasco further down >>>
Hindsight is what you see from the tail gunner's position. :D

Raffles
Site Admin
Burkina Faso

Re: MCO-ATL-CDG-OUA on Delta and Air France

Postby Raffles » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:20 am

Out of MCO.

Raffles
Site Admin
Burkina Faso

Postby Raffles » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:20 am

Business rations starters.

Raffles
Site Admin
Burkina Faso

Postby Raffles » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:21 am

Business rations main course

Raffles
Site Admin
Burkina Faso

Postby Raffles » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:23 am

Into Atlanta.

Charles de Gaul.

Raffles
Site Admin
Burkina Faso

Postby Raffles » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:24 am

My baggage didn't turn up and I am locked out of the house. Found the house keys but my baggage has probably ended up in the rings of Saturn.

Raffles
Site Admin
Burkina Faso

Postby Raffles » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:19 pm

I filed an online missing baggage report and about to go to the airport to see if my baggage turns up tonight.

Bell 407
Site Admin
South Africa

Postby Bell 407 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:30 pm

Good luck with that Raffles :good:

Raffles
Site Admin
Burkina Faso

Postby Raffles » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:34 pm

I filed an online missing baggage report and about to go to the airport to see if my baggage turns up tonight.

As a matter of interest, read the terms and conditions of a baggage claim:

Liability
In the conditions of your ticket, we stress our limited liability. If your baggage is lost, the amounts indicated will not be paid out automatically. These amounts refer to the maximum amount that could be paid out.

You will be required to provide a proof of loss for each claim. Airlines will not be liable for the loss of money, jewellery, silver, samples, business documents, electronic equipment or other valuable objects under any circumstances whatsoever.
The same applies for fragile and perishable items.

Insurance
If your baggage is insured against loss, it will be more beneficial for you to submit a claim to your insurance company or credit card company, rather than to the airline. Most insurance policies cover loss on the basis of the value of the property, while a maximum per person is customary in the aviation industry.

The swine basically charge the earth for a plane ticket but will go out of their way not to compensate you for baggage loss. You would probably have to take them to court under the Chicago Convention, IIRC there is a set amount they should pay out per KG, regardless of what you had inside.

Raffles
Site Admin
Burkina Faso

Postby Raffles » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:09 am

Baggage retrieved! Will now take a break until the next :shitfan:

great dane
1000 feet Poster
Denmark

Postby great dane » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:31 pm

Great report with a few challenges.

I do understand that things do not always go according plan, but visit one and two to the AF counter at CDG would have had my blood boiling!

The upgrade would probably have helped to control the bloodpressure :eyebrows:

Return to “Trip Reports & Aircraft Tours”