GDs Fun Flights - Europe 2017

Have an interesting trip report or tour of an aircraft you have done, then share it here.
great dane
1000 feet Poster
Denmark

GDs Fun Flights - Europe 2017

Postby great dane » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:51 pm

Oi, Europe visit in September, not really fun flights, but as I will do some detours to get on the right types it sort of counts.

Still sorting out the inter-euro itinerary, but quite happy to get two new types for me both on the way there and back (if no nasty plane changes).

Will be hunting some more types a haven't flown on, won't get them all but looking for Bombardier CS300, Sukhoi SSJ, Dornier 328JET, ATR42-600, Bombardier CRJ1000 and (crossing fingers) the mighty Lisunov Li-2 :wacko:

So far the easy bit is sorted, surprised to get JNB-ZRH-VIE on Swiss and GVA-FRA-JNB on Lufthansa at just R8K :Like:
Edit 10 July: Next bit sorted - The long way from Vienna to Athens (VIE-BRU-BMA,ARN-RIX-SKG-KLX-ATH :faceplant:)
Edit 30 August: DC-3 added - still need to find an interesting way from Billund to Geneva.
Edit 31 August: Two more added, one nice one terrible, just London to Geneva to sort out.
Edit 4 September: Last leg sorted - maybe still to be added a scenic around London. Dragon Rapide seems tempting :scratchhead: )

Booked so far . . .

Wednesday 6 September 2017
LX289 Jo'burg(JNB) - Zurich(ZRH) Airbus A340-300 Swiss (not too interesting but with the -300 being a dying type, not too bad either :timeup: )

Thursday 7 September 2017
LX1576 Zurich(ZRH) - Vienna(VIE) Bombardier CS100 Swiss (1st new type of the trip, and my first Bombardier C-series flight :cool1: )
OS359 Vienna(VIE) - Brussels(BRU) Embraer 195 Austrian (2nd new type, well the E195 has got its own ICAO code so it counts :Like: )
SN2307 Brussels(BRU) - Stockholm-Bromma(BMA) Suhkoi SSJ Brussels Airlines (3rd new type and one of the target of the trip :dance:
Nightstop will be at the Jumbo Hostel at Arlanda in decommissioned/converted 1977 vintage Boeing 747-200B cn21162.

Friday 8 September 2017
BT106 Stockholm-Arlanda(ARN) - Riga(RIX) Dash8-Q400 AirBaltic (first flight with airline, and first visit to Latvia even if only for 8½ hours)
BT595 Riga(RIX) - Thessaloniki(SKG) Bombardier CS300 AirBaltic (4th new type of the trip with the CS300, and first visit to Greece :good: )

Saturday 9 September 2017
OA084 Thessaloniki(SKG) - Kalamata(KLX) Dash8-Q400 Olympic Air (first flight with airline)
OA237 Kalamata(KLX) - Athens(ATH) ATR 42-600 (5th new type of trip, and despite being fairly new it is fairly rare with only 31 frames build :cool2: )

With 8 flights/22 hours in the air, all in cattle class, on just 4 days I am sure I will enjoy a good 10 days in Greece without airplanes :beer2:

Wednesday 20 September 2017
OA373 Mykonos (JMK) - Athens(ATH) Airbus A320 Aegean (first flight with Aegean, despite the Olympic flight no.)
A3848 Athens(ATH) - Hamburg(HAM) Airbus A320 Aegean (back 'home' some more R+R with the oldies in Denmark)

Wednesday 27 September 2017
OYBPB Roskilde (RKE) - Flensburg (FLF) Douglas DC-3 Danish Dakota Friends (first flight on this particular DC-3)
OYBPB Flensburg (FLF) - Roskilde (RKE) Douglas DC-3 Danish Dakota Friends

Thursday 28 September 2017
BA8267 Billund (BLL) - Olso (OSL) Dornier 328JET Sun-Air Scandinavia (6th new type of the trip, rare on scheduled flights these days :sparkle: )
FR1395 Oslo (OSL) - London-Stadsted (STN) Ryanair Boeing 737-800 (against my religion to fly Ryanair but good timing/price :dunno1: )

Monday 2 October 2017
AF 1681 London-Heathrow (LHR) - Paris-Charles de Gaulle (CDG) Boeing 787-9 (7th new type, first flight on the long Dreanliner :highfive: )
AF 1142 Paris-Charles de Gaulle (CDG) - Geneva-Cointrin (GVA) Airbus A318 (always good with a fairly rare A318)

Tuesday 3 October 2017
LH1223 Geneva(GVA) - Frankfurt(FRA) Airbus A319 Lufthansa (yawn :negative: )
LH572 Frankfurt(FRA) - Jo'burg(JNB) Boeing 747-8i Lufthansa (8th new type of the trip on what is likely to be the last of the Jumbos :dance: )

/M :bye1:

Bell 407
Site Admin
South Africa

Re: GDs Fun Flights - Europe 2017

Postby Bell 407 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:15 pm

GD, this looks like an awesome trip. Some of those new types look very interesting. But hey, great return cost on your flight ticket :cent:

gear up
Taxying Poster
South Africa

Postby gear up » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:20 am

Really looking forward to this trip report and the pics.. looks like a great itinerary :good: :champion: :beer3:
Dylan Cunha

great dane
1000 feet Poster
Denmark

Postby great dane » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:05 pm

So finally almost my turn to get flying - busy packing - and waiting for HB-JMC Airbus A340-300 to come and collect me tomorrow.

Think I booked all by flights (you never know if an extra can be squeezed in somewhere). If all goes to plan no less than 8 new types, can't wait :bye1:

Checked-in, two window seats, 38A and 7A. Looking forward to have just one neighbor in the 2-4-2 config of the A343 (unlike the KLM 777s I have mainly used lately), same on the CS100 that appears to have a generous 2-3 layout.

Bell 407
Site Admin
South Africa

Postby Bell 407 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:08 pm

Have a wonderful trip GD. Looking forward to your posts on the forum here. Eight types sounds like a nice number but hopefully it will be more :champion:

great dane
1000 feet Poster
Denmark

Postby great dane » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:41 am

So first four sectors completed - all according to plan so flown in three new types :dance:

First off was the longest and least interesting of the flight. HB-JMC a 2003 vintage Airbus A340-313 of Swiss. Left Jo'burg in darkness and it was still dark when we arrived Zurich so not much in terms of pics .

In the last light at JNB before departure.
ImageHB-JMC_06Sep17-JNB by Aviation Adventures South Africa, on Flickr

Reasonably well presented meal, but not very tasty sadly. Beer and chocolate was delicious though
ImageHB-JMC_06Sep17-Food by Aviation Adventures South Africa, on Flickr

After a bit of running around Zurich Airport to chase bizjets, HB-JBD Bombardier C-Series 100 of Swiss arrived gate to take me to Vienna.
ImageHB-JBD_07Sep17-ZRH by Aviation Adventures South Africa, on Flickr

Nice little aircraft - modern interior with good seats in a 2-3 layout. Got moved two rows forwards so ended up on 5A which was perfect for wing pix.

Favourite shot of the trip so far - C-Series wing and Zurich Airport in the back.
ImageHB-JBD_07Sep17-inflight-ZRH by Aviation Adventures South Africa, on Flickr

/m :bye1:

Bell 407
Site Admin
South Africa

Postby Bell 407 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:52 am

Very nice GD. That food doesn't look too bad on Swiss. Absolutely love the C-series wing shot and with the airport in the background too :champion: :champion: :champion:

Downwind
Engine Starting Poster
Great Britain

Postby Downwind » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:01 pm

Thanks for the posts, GD.

Have a great trip.

:thanx:

great dane
1000 feet Poster
Denmark

Postby great dane » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:25 pm

Finally back in South Africa after almost a full month in Europe, all the above mentioned flights went according to plan with the expected equipment, so managed to get 8 new types.

Some more from the 1 hours Swiss CS100 flight from Zurich to Vienna

First a pic of CS100 sistership HB-JBF departing while I was waiting for my flight
ImageHB-JBF_07Sep17-ZRH by Aviation Adventures South Africa, on Flickr

Nice big windows in the CS100, caught this REGA med-evac Challenger 604 while taxing out for departure.
ImageHB-JRA_07Sep17-ZRH by Aviation Adventures South Africa, on Flickr

After departure we had a great view of Zurich Airport as can be seen a couple posts above. Finally found the sun when we got a little higher.
ImageHB-JBD_07Sep17_in-flight-winglet by Aviation Adventures South Africa, on Flickr

Can't remember what the snack was, but the chocolate is usually the highlight on Swiss anyway.
ImageHB-JBD_07Sep17_in-flight-safetycard by Aviation Adventures South Africa, on Flickr

Also tried Swiss made cola although I can't really recommend though :shock:
ImageHB-JBD_07Sep17_in-flight-vivikola by Aviation Adventures South Africa, on Flickr

Cabin was nice but pretty standard (read boring) apart from small smartphone sized screens for safety video etc.
ImageHB-JBD_07Sep17_in-flight-cabin by Aviation Adventures South Africa, on Flickr

Farmland on approach into Viennas runway 34.
ImageHB-JBD_07Sep17_in-flight-engine by Aviation Adventures South Africa, on Flickr

The end of that flight, first on the CS100. Nice, quiet and comfortable in the Swiss layout.

/Michael :bye1:

Bell 407
Site Admin
South Africa

Postby Bell 407 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:18 pm

Welcome back Michael. Can't believe its been a whole month. Lucky you. Looking forward to the rest of the trip as you slowly post your pics.

Amazing picture of that REGA from inside the aerie through those big windows. Honestly thought you had taken that from the ramp it was so good :champion: :champion:

great dane
1000 feet Poster
Denmark

Postby great dane » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:30 pm

Bell 407 wrote:Welcome back Michael. Can't believe its been a whole month. Lucky you. Looking forward to the rest of the trip as you slowly post your pics.

Thanks Marc. And yes it will probably take some time to get through them all.

Next flight up was on the Austrian Airlines Embraer 195 from Vienna to Brussels, another new type for me. Maybe not the most exciting type as the E195 is very similar to the E190 with just a 2.43 meter stretch of the fuselage, but ICAO has it as a different type so that is good enough for me. Aircraft is also known as the Embraer 190-200, but as seen here Austrian also likes the Embraer 195 name better.
ImageOE-LWN_07Sep17-VIE by Aviation Adventures South Africa, on Flickr

While waiting in the terminal for the flight B-18905 Airbus A350-941 China Airlines was the most exciting machine to pass the windows.
ImageB-18905_07Sep17-VIE by Aviation Adventures South Africa, on Flickr

Boarding came and we were soon bussed to our aircraft - OE-LWN Embraer 195 Austrian Airlines - much prefer this way to airbridges!
ImageOE-LWN_07Sep17-VIE2 by Aviation Adventures South Africa, on Flickr

Parked next to us was sistership OE-LWE Embraer 195 Austrian Airlines.
ImageOE-LWE_07Sep17-VIE by Aviation Adventures South Africa, on Flickr

When airborne we found some nice weather again - wing exactly the same as the E190 but at least the red winglet is a change to the KLM ones I have mostly been on.
ImageOE-LWN_07Sep17-in-flight by Aviation Adventures South Africa, on Flickr

A small pack of salty crackers were all we had on this 1h25m flight - not impressive
ImageOE-LWN_07Sep17-Safetycard by Aviation Adventures South Africa, on Flickr

Love the Embraer 170/190 series for comfort with the 2-2 seating, and with Austrian plenty legspace as well
ImageOE-LWN_07Sep17-Cabin by Aviation Adventures South Africa, on Flickr

When taxiing in at Brussels we passed this stored former Africa machine - HB-JJE Boeing 757-204(wl) ECAir (Equarorial Congo Airlines)
ImageHB-JJE_07Sep17-BRU by Aviation Adventures South Africa, on Flickr

After landing I headed for a pizza and beer before getting ready for the forth as last flight of past 24 hours.

/Michael

Bell 407
Site Admin
South Africa

Postby Bell 407 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:13 pm

great dane wrote:When airborne we found some nice weather again - wing exactly the same as the E190 but at least the red winglet is a change to the KLM ones I have mostly been on.

That is a cracking shot GD :champion: :champion: :champion:

great dane
1000 feet Poster
Denmark

Postby great dane » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:24 pm

After the much needed Pizza I had a look around and found PH-KZU Fokker 70 of KLM Cityhopper in the special Anthony Fokker colour scheme to mark the retirement of the type at the end of October this year. Would have been nice with a F70 goodbye flight but guess I shouldn't be greedy.

The blue tailed 737 is btw what is left of former JNB regular OO-LTM of Korongo Airlines.
ImagePH-KZU_07Sep17-BRU by Aviation Adventures South Africa, on Flickr

Eventually my chariot to Stockholm arrived, missed it taxi in but here is EI-FWD Suhkoi SuperJet 100-95B Brussels Airlines (operated by CityJet) at the gate
ImageEI-FWD_07Sep17-BRU by Aviation Adventures South Africa, on Flickr

Before boarding I had to run off to make a shot of OO-SNC Airbus 320-214 Brussels Airlines in it special colours to celebrate Belgium Artist René Magritte that had just been pushed back.
ImagePH-SNC_07Sep17-BRU by Aviation Adventures South Africa, on Flickr

Anyway soon on our way for my first SuperJet 100 flight, here the usual wingview once above the clouds. Sitting right above the wing which wasn't really ideal.
ImageEI-FWD_07Sep17-in-flight by Aviation Adventures South Africa, on Flickr

Fatigue must have gotten to me after more the 24 hours on the road as I didn't make a safety-card pic and I can't remember if there was any service at all. But here the cabin sadly without any really typical soviet features. Reasonable comfort in 2-3 layout.
ImageEI-FWD_07Sep17-in-flight-cabin by Aviation Adventures South Africa, on Flickr

Inbound Stockholm-Bromma the smaller but more central airport of the Swedish capital - first time I visited Bromma.
ImageEI-FWD_07Sep17-in-flight-Stockholm by Aviation Adventures South Africa, on Flickr

EI-FWD Suhkoi SuperJet 100-95B Brussels Airlines(CityJet) after arrival in the very last light, thankfully with digital photography you can almost make it look like daylight.
ImageEI-FWD_07Sep17-BMA2 by Aviation Adventures South Africa, on Flickr

Just left to find a bus to take me to Stockholms other and more known airport 'Arlanda', for a night stop and some kip :sleeping:

Bell 407
Site Admin
South Africa

Postby Bell 407 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:39 am

great dane wrote:The blue tailed 737 is btw what is left of former JNB regular OO-LTM of Korongo Airlines.

I wondered what had happened to her. Thanks for the update :champion:

great dane wrote:After the much needed Pizza ...

What pizza did you have :thinking:

great dane wrote:EI-FWD Suhkoi SuperJet 100-95B Brussels Airlines(CityJet) after arrival in the very last light, thankfully with digital photography you can almost make it look like daylight.

It has a really great looking nose this aerie, different, but great looking I think :dance:

Thanks for the updates. Really cool to see where you went to :good:

gear up
Taxying Poster
South Africa

Postby gear up » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:03 am

Awesome pics and story as usual :thanx: :thumbsup1: this is why I love this forum.. such interesting people with so much passion for aviation! Great - Great Dane :beer3:
Dylan Cunha

great dane
1000 feet Poster
Denmark

Postby great dane » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:33 pm

Thx guys :thumbsup1:
Bell 407 wrote:What pizza did you have :thinking:

Quattro Formagi. If I have to be honest the choice to go Italian was made mainly because it was the only place in the terminal I could find that had reasonable views of the ramps of FBOs Abelag and ExecuJet. Outside the restaurant was this lovely memorabilia from Tintin's Moon adventures :heart:
ImageTintin_07Sep17-BRU
by Aviation Adventures South Africa, on Flickr

Pizza and rocket was all back at Brussels!

Picking up from the latest post. After arrival at Bromma I took the bus 'Flygbussarna' to Arlanda to find my rather eccentric Hotel
- A Boeing 747-200B.
Imagenightshot_08Sep17-JumboStay-ARN by Aviation Adventures South Africa, on Flickr

My room in was in the nacelle of engine #1. Basic at best but plenty big bed and a little window to one of the taxiways. Shower and bath was shared and I needed to go inside the plane but for EUR 73 which is a bargin for a place to stay in Sweden - great value for money - not to mention a lot of fun.
ImageBed_08Sep17-JumboStay-ARN by Aviation Adventures South Africa, on Flickr

After some good sleep I woke up to planes passing by the window in daylight - here LN-RGI Boeing 737-86N(wl) SAS-Scandinavian in it 70 years SAS colours
ImageLN-RGI_08Sep17-ARN by Aviation Adventures South Africa, on Flickr

This was the daylight view of the Jumbo Stay Hostel - Boeing 747-212B cn21162. Was originally delivered to Singapore Airlines back in 1976. Went on to Pam Am as N727PA 'Clipper Belle of the Sky' in 1984. Via Nationair and Tower Air came to Sweden with Transjet AB that went bankrupt shortly after delivery. Was then sold to a company called Northeast Airlines and put on Swazi register as 3D-NEE, but it never managed to leave Stockholm again.
ImageDaylight_08Sep17-JumboStay-ARN by Aviation Adventures South Africa, on Flickr

Great breakfast included in the former first class section of this classic airliner.
ImageBreakfast_08Sep17-JumboStay-ARN by Aviation Adventures South Africa, on Flickr

Then it was back to packing and another 4 flight over the next 24 hours :yikes:

Bell 407
Site Admin
South Africa

Postby Bell 407 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:41 pm

You know Michael, that shot of Tintin's moon rocket brings back so many good memories from being a kid :gooneybird: :gooneybird:

But to be honest, that 747 Hotel looks brilliant. What a different way to spend a night and to be woken up by the charming sound of jet engines as they go by your window :haha:

Propnut
Engine Run Up Poster
South Africa

Postby Propnut » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:04 am

Thanks once again GD for taking us on an armchair ride with you, as you visit some places in far away countries that some of us have never heard of. The detail you capture in your photographs is matched in your description or comment. An example being the 747 Hotel, after seeing the pictures who would want to stay in a Ice Hotel?

I for one look forward to each of your trips with as much excitement as you do.

great dane
1000 feet Poster
Denmark

Postby great dane » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:25 am

Propnut wrote:Thanks once again GD for taking us on an armchair ride with you, as you visit some places in far away countries that some of us have never heard of. The detail you capture in your photographs is matched in your description or comment.

Many thanks for the flowers :thanx:

While waiting for my flight to Riga I saw my first A320NEO - SE-ROB Airbus A320-251N SAS - was not the last I saw on the trip though
ImageSE-ROB_08Sep17-ARN by Aviation Adventures South Africa, on Flickr

Quite a nice terminal at Arlanda - lots of space, light and great facilities. Could even sit and get some admin done while watching aircraft. Maybe not the most efficient way to work, but still :fantastic:
ImageTerminal_08Sep17-ARN by Aviation Adventures South Africa, on Flickr

Finally my plane arrived - kotskoets YL-BAY Bombardier DHC-8-Q402 Dash 8 airBaltic, my first flight on airBaltic
ImageYL-BAY_08Sep17-ARN by Aviation Adventures South Africa, on Flickr

On departure we had of distant views on my hotel - the 747 to the right in the pic. The sharp eye will notice a Caravelle in the back, one of three preserved at Arlanda.
ImageZS-BAY_08Sep17-takeoff-OSL by Aviation Adventures South Africa, on Flickr

In cruise the weather improved as usual - food/drinks was at additional cost and I was too stingy for that :biggrin:
ImageZS-BAY_08Sep17-inflight by Aviation Adventures South Africa, on Flickr

On arrival to Riga-Skulte sistership YL-BBV was holding short of runway 18
ImageYL-BBV_08Sep17_RIX by Aviation Adventures South Africa, on Flickr

/M :bye1:

Bell 407
Site Admin
South Africa

Postby Bell 407 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:21 am

Great stuff Mr Danish. That "office" shot would do as a nice place for most of us I'm sure :heart:

Return to “Trip Reports & Aircraft Tours”