SA Express ORT to KIM return (Outbound Leg)

Have an interesting trip report or tour of an aircraft you have done, then share it here.
Bell 407
Site Admin
South Africa

SA Express ORT to KIM return (Outbound Leg)

Postby Bell 407 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:21 pm

Was occasioned to go to Kimberley for two days so herewith the outbound leg on SA Express using Owen Air's Embraer 120 Brasilia ZS-TJB.

Arrived early at the airport and decided to have a look at the international hall viewing deck as I had not been up there for quite a while. Was mainly interested to see what the weather was doing as buildup had been threatening all day. As you can see, the weather was not the best for photography as everything had a brown complexion to it.

Not too long a wait at the departure hall for the obligatory buss ride to the aircraft.

Seeing that this was an SAX flight, I thought I would post a pic of their maintenance hangar. Sadly missed the chance to get a pic of one of their CRJ's in the hangar but could see she was on stilts with no wheels and most of the outside looked rather tattered.

Bell 407
Site Admin
South Africa

Re: SA Express ORT to KIM return (Outbound Leg)

Postby Bell 407 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:23 pm

On arrival at the aircraft was surprised to see TJB was the aircraft of use today as a check up earlier in the day had shown we were to fly SOB. Small aircraft indeed with big props.

Space inside was always going to compromised so was glad that I had booked a single isle window seat. However, that went up in smoke when the hostie told me that it was "sit anywhere". Luckily I still managed to get a window seat bu this time on the right hand side of the aircraft over the wing.

Bell 407
Site Admin
South Africa

Postby Bell 407 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:25 pm

On engine startup I realised just how noisy this flight would be as the drone of those engines vibrates and echoes throughout the whole airframe. Nevertheless, we taxied out past the other regional aircraft parked on the ramp and made our way to 03L for departure. It truly is an extremely wide runway and surely did make our E120 look rather small positioned on it.

We were airborne just before the Safair hangars with a rather early left hand turn out for Kimberley. As I was located on the right hand side of the aircraft, the sun was always going to play havoc with decent pictures once we had made the left turn to destination.

We climbed (slowly) to Fl200 and once above the muck, the views were rather lovely. However, this lasted for about half the flight as the rest was taken up with weather avoidance or just making it over the tops of the clouds.

Bell 407
Site Admin
South Africa

Postby Bell 407 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:27 pm

The "lunch" that was presented was your typical "snack". Enjoyed the spicy pretzels but had to give up on eating "dessert" in the form of the yogurt bursts as I could not for the life of me get the packet open. Just when you needed a sharp object to do this you realise its packed away in the hold.

Once we stared our decent we broke through the murky cloud and had some great views of the Kimberly area. Lots of open space and veld filled the views. We were on right base for Rwy 02 at FAKM and finished the roll-out well before the cross Rwy 10/28. From there it is a rather monstrous taxi all the way to the terminal. But arrived safe and sound after a good flight.

Until the return flight ...

great dane
1000 feet Poster
Denmark

Postby great dane » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:28 pm

Brilliant report! :goodpost:

You didn't get the Dash 8 but the Embraer is so much better. Still convinced the original flight was operated by both the E120s ZS-TJB and ZS-SOB. As mentioned SOB was 20 mins behind you and they also followed each other back to JNB.

Bell 407 wrote:Was mainly interested to see what the weather was doing as buildup had been threatening all day. As you can see, the weather was not the best for photography as everything had a brown complexion to it.

Is that why we call it sh!t weather I wonder :eyebrows:

Love the pic of your chariot on stand in Kimberley :cool1:

Got serious competition now with regards to trip reports, and with Downwind hopefully also joining I will have to think of something :thinking:

Moertoe Pilut
2000 feet Poster
Netherlands

Postby Moertoe Pilut » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:30 pm

Some great stuff there Marc, thanks for sharing :thumbs:

Return to “Trip Reports & Aircraft Tours”