Etihad's A380 'Residence' has a lounge, double bed and an en-suite shower

All weird aviation related topics and or jokes can be discussed here.
Kerry R
South Africa

Etihad's A380 'Residence' has a lounge, double bed and an en-suite shower

Post by Kerry R » Tue May 06, 2014 3:28 am

We've seen full-length beds, 32-inch TVs and even dedicated chefs on board the latest Airbus and Boeing planes, but Etihad's setting the bar far, far higher by offering an entire section of its brand-new A380 to passengers with the cash to spare. "The Residence," as the airline's calling its uber-lux three-room suite, includes 125 square feet of space spread between a living room, dining area, bedroom and private bathroom (yes, of course it has a shower). You can have the suite all to yourself, or you can share the double bed with a companion. As for the tech on board, there's a 32-inch TV in the living room, a 27-inch screen near the bed, HDMI inputs (hello PS4 at 30,000 feet), power outlets, USB ports and a top-of-the-line Panasonic entertainment system. Etihad's not talking pricing at this point, but the A380 is expected to fly between Abu Dhabi and London, New York and Sydney beginning in 2015, giving you plenty of time to save up.

Update: The Residence is now available for bookings. Dates we priced in March 2015 are coming in at a whopping £25,456, or about $43,000 roundtrip for the roughly seven-hour trip between London and Abu Dhabi.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvnVRoGcJ1w

Moertoe Pilut
2000 feet Poster
United Arab Emirates

Re: Etihad's A380 'Residence' has a lounge, double bed and an en-suite shower

Post by Moertoe Pilut » Fri May 09, 2014 10:46 pm

My guess is that this will put a slight dent into the corporate flying out of the region. It sure is nice if you can afford it (although I never would even if I could afford it).

Raffles
Site Admin
Burkina Faso

Post by Raffles » Fri May 09, 2014 11:55 pm

I just thought the opposite, if you can afford that, then you can afford to charter (or own) a private BJ.

Hindsight is what you see from the tail gunner's position. :D

Moertoe Pilut
2000 feet Poster
United Arab Emirates

Post by Moertoe Pilut » Sat May 10, 2014 12:23 am

[quote="Raffles"]
I just thought the opposite, if you can afford that, then you can afford to charter (or own) a private BJ.
[/quote]How much would the cheapest BJ be from Abu Dhabi to London? Surely more than £25,000?